4 Days at Oregon Dunes in July

oldturtle

I just posted topic on Tips and Tricks about my recent Banshee overhaul trials and tribulations. So first thing after getting it broke in is to head to Oregon Dunes with my brother and his Polaris 400 Trail Blazer 2-stroke 2WD, his Polaris 500 Scrambler 4-stroke 2WD/4WD, and my freshly built Banshee with new Sandstars front and rear. His 400 also had new Sandstars while the 500 ran stock knobbies. He wanted to be prepared in case my Banshee broke down we would still have something to ride.

The first 2 days we rode at Winchester Bay (Umpqua Dunes), site of the tallest dunes in Oregon. The first day I took things really easy. I wanted to carefully get the motor broke in correctly since I only had a few hours of easy dirt riding on the motor when I arrived. The second day we started out to the dunes and pass by this hill the locals have named "Banshee Hill". Well my brother is much more experienced on quads than me and he thought he should give Banshee Hill a go. This hill is fairly steep, not like the backs of the big dunes but still semi-steep. The hill looks much worse than it really is. It is actually an uphill trail that connects 2 dune areas, it is very wide at the top and bottom but narrow in the middle of the hill with a slight left and then right turn in the middle and about 8 feet wide at the narrowest with trees and stumps on each side. My brother is concerned about having enough power with his 400 Trail Blazer so I offer him my Banshee. He accepts. First pass at the hill no problem. He pulls it very easily but fast in 2nd gear. Second pass at the hill he is not so fortunate. Right at the beginning of the left turn the front end comes up, he looses steering, and he plows straight ahead into a 12 inch stump at edge of trail. Banshee stops immediatly and he goes over bars. He is OK, Banshee is not. With help of other rider they drag broken bike down hill with dangeling front right wheel.

A Polaris rider from Montana has a rope and lashes the Banshee bumper to rear rack so front wheels are off ground and he tows us back to camp. Looks like we need right front wheel and tie-rod ends. We find parts at Yamaha dealer in North Bend. Get back to camp and install wheel and tie-rod and then discover that the front wheel is now about 2 inches in at the top, A arms are bent, paint is cracked at A arm mounts, tank cover is broken at rear mounting bolt, and not sure what else. So Banshee goes on trailer for rest of trip.

The third day we made a big loop from Spinreel staging out to beach, down beach to Bull Run, then back along Bull Run Dunes and trails to Spinreel. Then we rode from Horsefall staging area to Hauser Rd and back. The fourth day we rode from South Jetty staging near Florence.

I was really amazed at the tremendous variety of terrain at the different areas. Winchester Bay has the monster dunes with very steep back sides, occaisionly forming a narrow ridge on top too narrow to ride. You dont want to fly over these. Florence/South Jetty has moderate dunes and many sand trails thru the trees. It would take years to learn the trails at South Jetty. South Jetty also has many very hazardous sand swirls and drop offs that you can't see untill you get right up to them. I would not want to send a bunch of novice kids out there. This area also has the big bus tours that meander across the dunes with maybe 25 passengers and also has fast dune buggy tours with maybe 4 passengers. Lots of activity here. I think I preffered the variety of terrain between Spinreel and Horsefall the best. For a novice rider out to survive and have a great ride this is hard to beat. The area just north of Horsfall staging seems fairly safe for young and beginning riders. I can't wait to get back.

I have ordered a set of Ricky-Stator +2 & + 5/8 A-arms. I am looking for a plastic welder near-by for the broken tank cover. I will hold off on new shocks until I see if I really need them. Money is getting sparse. Still have not taken a close look at the frame welds.

florance real isn't that bad. THe group I ride with stay out of the open area. THere are alot of shears and quicksand durring the winter-spring . as for the trails thats half the fun find one yah never been on and ridding it. If you still can't find anything theres always someone willing to play the tour guide.