ballance crank?

Have any of you guys seen that new stuff that I think was crane cam is doing now? You can send in crank cams whatever, and they hit it with the tiny beads and it smoothes out and strengthens pretty much any metal. They will only do it for new items they cant be run already. But they had a demonstration of some parts that had some pretty gnarly abuse and they looked better then brand new. They claim that the metal is so smooth once the process is done that metal on metal parts are relatively taken to the point that there is no friction.

edit: mikronite.... thats what it called, couldnt think of it so i had to google it

FYI: Crane outsources the work to another company (the name escapes me at the moment) that specializes in this particular super finishing process (alot like shot peening on a very small level). The company will be at Westec when it comes back to LA. I used them, Carillo used them, Edelbrock, HPD, etc. Many of the NASACAR dingle berries started using it as a surface finish spec.

IMO it's one of those things that you shouldn't have to do if you had a decent machined finish to start with. :geek:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: Crane outsources the work to another company (the name escapes me at the moment) that specializes in this particular super finishing process (alot like shot peening on a very small level). The company will be at Westec when it comes back to LA. I used them, Carillo used them, Edelbrock, HPD, etc. Many of the NASACAR dingle berries started using it as a surface finish spec.

IMO it's one of those things that you shouldn't have to do if you had a decent machined finish to start with. :geek:

yea its that mikronite company... thats the name of the company and the process used... they teamed up with crane to promote both companies better. i cant remember where i saw it at but you can send your parts to get done as long as thy are new. the price isnt all that bad either, i want to say it was like 350 bucks for a crank to a V8 if i remember correctly

yea its that mikronite company... thats the name of the company and the process used... they teamed up with crane to promote both companies better. i cant remember where i saw it at but you can send your parts to get done as long as thy are new. the price isnt all that bad either, i want to say it was like 350 bucks for a crank to a V8 if i remember correctly

..............I don't remember how much we were paying per crankshaft, but it wasn't much. :blush: