Amp Link

I've got an amp link for my 87 shee and I was just wondering if anybody has ridden a bike with one and what did you think of it? My bike is in the process of being rebuilt and I've already put it on but haven't rode with it yet. I just want to know what I can expect. Thanks.

I like it. It eliminates the need for the swingarm slider around the pivot point at the frame and if you have a shortened swingarm you can get rid of the back slider too.

They may be a little noisier than the stock arrangement but I doubt it. Like anything else, keep it greased up and check on it before you ride, should give alot of good years.

The manufacturer says it will give better traction too. I don't know where to come in on that argument. But I think it's a good mod.

I have had them on a couple of bikes and think they do exactly what they are said to do. The only problem I have ever had with them is that I do not get the life out of the rollers that I think I should, and the cost of rebuilding them is much too high. As a result, I have always ended up taking them off. I would love to run them, but I just can't afford them.

How many hours do you generally get out of them? How much to fix em'.

The principle behind them makes sense, under power you should still have the full travel of your rear shock. Have you noticed such an occurence? I appreciate your input.

Does it help provide more traction? Yes, more so on rough terrain.

Does it help the rear suspension work better during accelleration? Yes

Does it make a lot of noise? Hell yes.

How long do the rollers and bearings last? Less than two years, but I ride in a lot of mud.

Does it rob horsepower? I think so.

Is it easy to install? No, I had to use a grinder on the spacers to get the rollers to line up with my sprockets.

Do I still use mine? No, rather than rebuild it, I purchased a TM design works chain slider and I am happy with the change. I plan to have my rear shock rebuilt to help out the suspension and my shortened swingarm helps provide traction, so I'll probably never put the amp link back on.

Is the noise really that bad? I thought it would be hard for it to be as loud as my worn out stock chain rollers! :huh:

And does everybody have to customize to get it to align with the rear sprocket. I have not put my chain back on yet but it looks perfect aligned.

Edited by Banshee169

On one bike I had to modify the AmpLink, and on two bikes I did not. As for how long the rollers last, I never got a full year out of a set, but I do ride in the sand almost every weekend. Is the noise bad, I think not. It never bothered me. All in all, I have to say that I really love the AmpLink, and I think that it does everything that it is supposed to do. If I could afford the $100 rebuild every 8 to 10 months, I would run one on every bike I manage. To me the AmpLink is like many other performance parts out there. If you can afford it, and if you ride hard enough to justify the performance need, get one. Failing one of those two reasons, run the best stuff you can justify and be happy.

I ride the bike to its full potential. Some day I hope to have it fast enough that I cant, but for right now I feel like I totally abuse it. It knows only full throttle! :bolt: I think that the amp link will be a good edition so long as I just keep it lubed and the alignment is straight.