doesnt cut square...leaves a fantastic finish though...

like a plasma cutter may not vut square if its not setup right.

should cut very accurate though. if itrs not cutting square i would say its th3 cuters/installers fault, i just hurd about this thng but it sounds like it shold cut with in .015.

n :unsure:

I seen one of those machines on American Chopper when they were making the Dixie Chopper custom bike. It's pretty amazing how far we've come from working with metal from fireplaces and using a hammer and an anvil to shooting water out of a nozzle at mach 3 or 4 and cutting metal to thicknesses of around 10 inches.

they've tried a water jet at my work before. we make fiberglass reinforced plastics. believe it or not, it didn't work too well. we still use diamond tipped blades instead. they work pretty slick and one of the few things that will hold up to it. B)

Edited by MILO

PLasma cutting, or any other cutting for that matter is all relative to the moron/operator that is setting it iup, and the maintenance on the machine. A sloppy machine, yields sloppt parts. A plasma table can burn material very accurately. By far better than any oxy table out there.. And water jet machining is very useful. And cutting fiberglass isn't one of it's uses. :unsure: Fiber material is a PITA to machine no matter what you do. A plasma cutter is by far more versatile than a water machine. But, wait for laser technology to further itself and look out!! :bolt:

my wife did a test with a laser on a piece of fiberglass i gave her. it was a project for school,(electrical & mechanical engineering). the laser barely made a mark on the part. lasers work awsome on plastic, but not fiberglass reinforced plastic. as far as fabrication work to fiberglass, the diamond tip blades, router bits, anything diamond tip is the only answer. carbide tips aren't bad, but don't last long either. i've used concrete blades here at home, but it tears them up quick too. i'm the fabrication supervisor at my work, so i have LOTS of experience with this. it's expensive, but diamond tipped tools are the answer. B)

my wife did a test with a laser on a piece of fiberglass i gave her.  it was a project for school,(electrical & mechanical engineering).  the laser barely made a mark on the part.  lasers work awsome on plastic, but not fiberglass reinforced plastic.  as far as fabrication work to fiberglass, the diamond tip blades, router bits, anything diamond tip is the only answer.  carbide tips aren't bad, but don't last long either.  i've used concrete blades here at home, but it tears them up quick too.  i'm the fabrication supervisor at my work, so i have LOTS of experience with this.  it's expensive, but diamond tipped tools are the answer.  B)

Some of the best machined finishes in aluminum I have ever seen are with diamond tipped tools.

I don't mess with composites. I cut a ton of plastic though.

The fab shop that I have do my laser work just put in a 5kw laser. I guess they cut wood, glass, aluminum up to 3/8 or 1/2, steel, just about anything that will fit on their table. Something that they told me when they put it in, is its faster than their CNC punch at putting holes in 1/4" steel!!!!! Thats fast considering a punch takes almost no time to punch a hole in plate. With the laser you won't get the edge compression either.

But I guess thats what you get when you spend something like $3mil on a laser table right?

Edited by Cotton eyed Joe