Tors Doohicky

Meat

hey guys i just bought a wiring harness to replace my mess o' wires and this one come with the little black tors doohicky\box\controller. I want to remove this, whats the best way? Just unplug it. But do I have to splice wires? I am a complete moron when dealing with wiring, so please go slow and be very descriptive with your replies.

What do I do with the "Throttle Switch" wires and the "carb switch" wires?

post-1-1082775268.jpg

Im probably going to have more wiring questions coming... :rolleyes:

Edited by Meat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i was pullin my hair out last time i had electrical problems. That was last July, and it was my CDI. Put a new cdi on and it ran fine, I also made my own wiring harness and that worked fine.... till a week ago when I broke a ground wire off. Fixed the ground wire and now I dont have any spark. I went over my whole wiring harness with a fine tooth comb and fixed up ALL my connections by soldering em and covering em with heat shrink tubing... and I still dont have any spark. I don't have the time and patience to trouble shoot this shit so I just bought a harness\CDI\coil on Ebay, its all from a 1999 model. I also picked up a brandy new Ricky Stator 200 watt stator and a set of trail tech lights. I need to get this fucker running before the big CoalFest ride in early June.

So just unplug the tors. :) I can do that. :)

Im not going to run the stock handlebar mounted on\off and headlight switch. Do I need to do anything special with the wiring leading to these switches. I plan on mounting a toggle switch for my headlights. No on\off switch at all. And I'll be running a PD tether cord. I can handle the tether switch wiring.

thanks for the reply JJ, im comin' to Africa to ride with you some day :) ...... after I hit the lottery :( .

Meat's electrical nightmare volume 2! :ph34r:

J.J. is right on, you can just unplug the TORS control box. The only wire that matters going to it is the black with a white stripe-if that one grounds out it will kill the motor (it's the same wire that the handlebar kill switch uses to kill the motor, when grounded). So the BEST thing to do would be to either tape off that connector real well, or cut the wires at the connector and tape 'em up (especially that white/black one). The black is just a ground and don't matter, and the black/yellow only goes to the throttle switch and the TORS boxes so they really don't matter; they can just be cut & taped off.

The only thing you need to solder together to make it run is the black/red to black for the key switch if you remove it.

For the lights, the easiest way to do it would be to find the yellow, blue, and green wires on the wiring harness side of the light switch. Yellow is power coming from the stator (via the voltage regulator). Green goes to the headlight and blue goes to the taillight. Put the yellow wire on one side of the switch and both the green & blue on the other side, then connect the headlights to the green and black (ground) wires on the factory wiring harness. Good luck.

Meat, you're doing exactly what I did with mine. I cut everythihng off relating to the stock crap. I ran a wire directly from the yellow stator wire to a toggle switch. Off that switch, I ran a wire to each light. Simple enough. It's on it's own circuit. The only wires from the stock harness on my bike are from the stator -(ignition side) to the CDI, and the voltage regulator wire.. All the light wiring was my own. As is the tether wiring...... Basically, anything that would make the bike physically run, I left. Anything that was "extra" I cut off. Beny gave a good description of what you can do.

Other than neatness and cool factor, what is there to gain? I heard someone mention that it allows more power through to the wires that need it, but I don't necessarily believe that. So I thought I'd be the one to ask the stupid question. :bolt:

everyone, thanks for all the help, im going out to work on the quad now. I'll let yas know if it fires up. I have a brand new Ricky Stator 200 watt stator sitting next to me. Just ordered a set of handlebar mounted 75 watt trail tech headlights..... with the speedo holder.... oh yea.... night riding at coalfest is gonna go down. BTW, coalfest ride will be here very soon, get your quads ready.

J.J. If I had the money, i'd fly over there and we'd win that race. Iv read about that race in one of the ATV mags once, its a race similar to the Pikes Peak race here in the states. Race up the mountain. :headbang:

SHEE LIVES AGAIN !!! Thanks for all the help, got it sparkin' again. I got the harness\CDI\coil mounted, pulled the flywheel, removed the old stator and its plate, put the new Ricky Stator on, re-installed the flywheel, connected the stator to the harness, kicked it over and NO spark.... this is around 3am\an hour ago. Boy was I pissed, all that work and no spark. I get looking closer at the plugs that go to the handlebars and remembered what you guys said about the key wires possibly needing spliced together. I found the connector for the keyswitch and low and behold there's electrical tape wraped around the wires about an inch below the connector. I removed the electrical tape and the previous owner had the wires cut, and he re-attached the connector. Well, I took off the connector where he had it spliced back together, wrapped the two wires together, kicked it over and wallaa..... all kinds of sparkage. I did a little dance, put my tools away and left. Time for bed, 4am. Thanks again everyone who replied. Sorry I havent been helping much on the forums lately...... it seems like there's just not enough hours in the day anymore :(

Damn, im going riding this weekend !!

Edited by Meat

J.J. If I had the money, i'd fly over there and we'd win that race. Iv read about that race in one of the ATV mags once, its a race similar to the Pikes Peak race here in the states
And if I won the lotto I'd be there for the Coalfest!

Well, I took off the connector where he had it spliced back together, wrapped the two wires together, kicked it over and wallaa..... all kinds of sparkage.
Smokin! :clap:

yup, shees' sparkin' like a hippie at a Grateful Dead concert. Im so relieved that its running again, wiring\electrical stresses me out.

I still have to tap in my tether switch and hook up my headlights.

Other than neatness and cool factor, what is there to gain? I heard someone mention that it allows more power through to the wires that need it, but I don't necessarily believe that. So I thought I'd be the one to ask the stupid question. :bolt:

Hey, WTF?? B)

You mean, what is to gain by modding or custom-fabbing a wiring harness? Nothing really from a performance standpoint. Mostly it's aesthetic (not having unused connectors hanging from the harness). If you're mounting your electronics somewhere else you can eliminate alot of clutter. And lastly, if done right you'll have a little less potential for problems; like routing the harness so there's less chance of rubbing the frame or pipes, maybe using newer connectors that have a newer or better weathertight seal, not having unused wires wasting space, etc.

So yes I think you're right that there's no power gain through the wires, and neatness is probably the biggest reason (I'm sure you've seen H-D bikes that have no wires visible because they are routed through the frame, well that is just plain cool).