Can You Paint Shocks?

Adamshee

If they are stock shocks they will be ruined if you have them chromed as they are not seviceable,. If they are aftermarket shocks they will have to be taken apart prior to chrome, then propperly re-assembled afterwards. Just some food for thought.

If they are stock shocks they will be ruined if you have them chromed as they are not seviceable,. If they are aftermarket shocks they will have to be taken apart prior to chrome, then propperly re-assembled afterwards. Just some food for thought.

yeah why cant you take the springs off the stockers and chrome them

If they are stock shocks they will be ruined if you have them chromed as they are not seviceable,.  If they are aftermarket shocks they will have to be taken apart prior to chrome, then propperly re-assembled afterwards.  Just some food for thought.

yeah why cant you take the springs off the stockers and chrome them

I've done my fronts and its kind of a bitch.

You have to compress the spring enough to get at the jam nut behind the pivot. You have to loosen both of them, the jam nut and the pivot on the shaft, then take them off, then let the spring relax with out it hitting you and killing you dead right there.

The chrome process uses electricity and harsh chemicals and heat is generated as a byproduct there of - all of theese things will damage the shaft seal, possibly releasing oil & nitrogen from inside the shock. Yes you can remove the spring from the shock body but I am not aware of anyone who services / rebuilds STOCK shocks. Just because you have seen them chrome doesn't mean they still work correctly. Now I have not personally tried to chrome a set of stock shocks, but I do have a good understanding of the chrome process and how a shock absorber is assembled and all the intricate pieces inside one. Just trying to save you guys some head ache's.

The chrome process uses electricity and harsh chemicals and heat is generated as a byproduct there of - all of theese things will damage the shaft seal, possibly releasing oil & nitrogen from inside the shock. Yes you can remove the spring from the shock body but I am not aware of anyone who services / rebuilds STOCK shocks. Just because you have seen them chrome doesn't mean they still work correctly. Now I have not personally tried to chrome a set of stock shocks, but I do have a good understanding of the chrome process and how a shock absorber is assembled and all the intricate pieces inside one. Just trying to save you guys some head ache's.

you just take the stocker compress the spring and unscrew the top. the spring pops right off. i know you cant do the shock dampner but the springs can be done all day long without effecting the performance of the ole stock shock.

the springs can be done all day long without effecting the performance of the ole stock shock.

That is correct, you can chrome the stock springs but it is not a good idea, hydrogen embrittlement is a huge factor in addition to the re-tempering of the spring wire all of which lead to a brittle spring and eventualy a failure.

would it be ok to just dip the whole shock if im just using them for drags? no jumps, maybe a few bumps and to get better traction. ?????

I wouldn't do the whole shock. The seals would get eaten I'm sure. Spring only!!!!

I did mine for looks mostly. I'm really hoping for a set of Works or someother shock at the end of this year, or next spring.

i completly understand what dunedemon is saying and have witnessed a set of chrome stockers fail. not sure if it was the way they were plated or something that went wrong in the process but i feel ya man. just powder coat the springs.

would it be ok to just dip the whole shock if im just using them for drags? no jumps, maybe a few bumps and to get better traction. ?????

I personally would not, but that is up to you.

just powder coat the springs

Or send them to me and I'll will have them "Powder-Chromed" a new type of powder coating process that I have become a dealer for. As shiny as chrome without the hydrogen embrittlement, plus the top coat is a Dupont eurethane powder clear (same composition BMW uses for clear-coating their cars) that can be wet sanded if it becomes dull. I'll post some pictures in the images section - take a look.