Shaving The Stock Head..

I am looking into shaving the stock head to bump the comp up but was wondering what all is involved with this. I would like to shave it to bring the comp up to running race gas. Any feedback would be helpfull.

The Schick Quattro works the best, though I've had good luck with the Mach 3.

Seriously, send boonman a private message and he will hook you up by milling your head just the way you want it perfectly and in a speedy time. Guaranteed!! He's done quite a few that I know about and I'm sure loads that I don't know about.

Scott

It should fit fine with your stock gasket. This isn't something you're going to want to attempt yourself though. Getting the mating surface perfectly flat and milling it exactly how you want it... you'll definitely want a machine shop or boonman to do it.

Another option is to get a Noss head or PD Cool Head and then you can just switch the domes to smaller ones as you change to race fuel or similar.

• 2 weeks later...
Send me your stock head, And $20, and I'll send you a head machined for 175 PSI on stock domed pistons.  :o      :dance:  Can't beat that with a stick...  :cheers:    It's the one that is on my bike right now.  I don't want race fuel anymore.....  :cry:

Don't you have to run race fuel at that high octane? How much do you shave off for that? I was kinda aiming for about 150psi.

1 day. I get your head in, I machine it, and if it is early enough in the day, (depending on when my damn UPS driver gets there, or worse, U.S. postal service, or worse yet, Fed EX) I can ship it back out that same day. I did some mods last summer, I go the parts on Tuesday, and the individual paid the extra freight, and he had them back Wednesday. :o So, he was down from Monday morning, to Wednesday afternoon. Depending on where you live in the country will depict how long it takes to get back to you. I ship UPS ground. ( I pick up the shipping cost)

What are the downsides to bumping the compression?  Does it sacrifice reliability?

About the only "negative" is you'll get an increase in head temp. The only way I even really noticed it is I had a majority of my engine work done before I had aftermarket exhaust. Once I put the T-5's on it let alot of that heat out in the exhaust rather than keeping it restricted and letting the heat build up.