Filter Oil

I run a pro design two stage foam filter, and I always oil it well. Lately I'm wondering if I really need to. Unless there's a tear in the filter there is no way in hell any sand is getting through both layers of foam. I think all the oil is doing is inhibiting the airflow.

Anyone disagree?

I run the same filter and have never ran oil. Dont really see a purpose for it in the two stage foam filters. I ran oil in it the first week I had it then I threw it out because it attracts dirt like flies on poop and its a bitch to clean off.

Do your motor a really big favor and AAAALLLWWAAAAAAAYSSS oil your foam air filter. Best to use genuine foam filter specific oil. Its tacky and does a great job on very fine dust particles. If you do not want to buy expensive foam filter oil then at the very least use 80 or 90 weight gear oil. I just cannot believe anyone on this site would not lube their air filters. Sorry but the thought makes my shee cry and me too. :cry:

I run the same filter and have never ran oil. Dont really see a purpose for it in the two stage foam filters. I ran oil in it the first week I had it then I threw it out because it attracts dirt like flies on poop and its a bitch to clean off.

So where do you think all that dirt goes if it's not on the filter :whoa:

Again for clarification. I have been using the same filter (fpam) for the past year without oil. Come to Florida and you will see it is extremely dusty. I have pulled my filter off many times and have never found any particles(besides premix oil) anywhere on the intakes. Advice him as you may but I know that this is how I have ran my filter and never had any problems.

Any of you guys use spray-on oil on the foam filters or do you use the thick shtuff?

The spray on stuff isn't as stickey and it is much easier to clean the filter, but I don't think that it offers quite as much protection and doen't repel the water as good, but probably works fine. I use the sticky foam filter oil on the banshee. I use the K&N filter charger stuff on my car's custom foam filter air intake because it easier to clean and my car doen't go off road either.

I use the spray-on stuff and it works great at collecting dust. :huh:

Mine is a two stage filter too, but the outer "stage" was torn to hell when I got it. If I was running the dual stage one, I probably wouldn't use the oil either, but definately make sure to clean it between rides.

I guess if you ride a banshee in the dunes then there really is no reason for filter oil. Afterall the only dust that'll be there is what you're churning up ;)

For the rest of us wimps who'd like to have our banshees around a while, we'll just keep blowing the big bucks on a $3 bottle of filter oil :wacko: