Hard Start/bad Idle

Got out ta play on the weekend, but "shee" wasn't working like I hoped. The thing has been sitting for a few years and I just put life back into her last week.

It will not start when it's cold unless you physically dump gas into the carbs. When it does get going it idles terribly, very spirratic, will suddenly rev way up in RPM then die off and start back fireing. When it is warm it's hit and miss. Sometimes it idles down and runs nicely other times it just dies.

Compression is a little low around 110 psi

But I was thining the reeds might be warped from sitting for so long???

Any Ideas, reeds are cheap and easy, so I'll probubly give them a shot first.

;)

make sure the choke tube is hooked up ,

and did you phisically remove the jets especially the pilot and look through it they clog really easy and are a pain to clean just dunking them will not clean the jets out. you have to remove them and spray carb cleaner in them with a straw till you can see through them.

Main's are clean, that's the first thing I check when I get them off. I have burned down motors befour - didn't like it.

Choke tube - I assume you are refurring to the brass tube running into the float bowl, if so yup

Carb boots are A-OK

Out of Sync slides should cause poor idle but, but wouldn't cause the rev's to spike or extreamly hard starting.

-I heard dissabling the TORS will cause erratic idle if you didn't install the idle kit, is that true because I did dissable the TORS and did NOT install and idle kit.

If that is the case, How would disconnecting the TORS effect the idle anyhow???

:whoa:

The choke tube which I think he is talking about is the tube that runs from one carb to the other  between the two.. straight black hose about 2-3 inches long..

Mains will not affect idle the pilots are in a hole that the plastic splash gaurd goes into. when you remove the float bowl there is a little white plastic shield hanging on the carb that goes over the main remove it and in the hole it was siting in are the pilots. you need a very fine flat head screw driver to remove them,

I would put money on this is the problem.

diconecting the tors? well what did you diconnect the brain box under the tank.

it will run and idle normal if this is what you did . the idle kit only comes into play when you remove the carb tops and install carb tops without all the tors on them since now that is what controls idle the big flat head thumb screws.

and the choke tube i am talking about is 2 inches long and goes from the inside of one carb to the other when they are installed on the bike look straight down on them and there s you should see it.

Go to the auto parts store and buy a piece of 5/16 vacume line (preaty sure) or 1/4 a piece 2 in long is all you need

now look at the carbs installed and where you pull the choke out directly on the other side there is a nipple the hose goes from this nipple to the same nipple on the other carb ,

hope it fixes it up let us know how it work out