Toyota Supra

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree just got a cbr 900 rr and my friend builds talon awd 's one of them is sponsered and has a hks stage 6 turbo it runs low 10  last time at bristol it ran 10.40 @ 141 mph and i guareentee u my bike would smoke it.

Daaaaaaamb thats quick! Thats not a street going machine is it? Yeah, street bikes make cars like a moving slalom coarse. 900rr was one of my first covated bikes too. Yeah, my gsx gets to 120 pretty quick but acceleration slows down a lot beyond that. The bikes, especially the liter class keep honkin on past that untill you pretty much run out or gears, or start to shit yourself, which ever comes first. :shootself: My shit starts runnin :flush::wacko: and $160 and I still got a gear to go.

no thats not a street ride he hauls it there but it hasn't been gutted . its still got all the interior. theres also a guy that goes with them quite often that has a old galant 4-door vr4 that thing looks like a family ride. than he takes it down the strip and it runs mid 11"s its fast to. builds 15 pounds of boost at idle. sounds great :bolt:

builds 15 pounds of boost at idle. sounds great

turbo cars dont build boost at idle, they create vacuum...

Maybe he ment you could get the turbo to spool to 15 PSI by reving the motor while sitting in neutral. Doesn't mean much though, the larger the turbo the less boost you can make by simply reving the motor at idle due to more lag the bigger they are.

it wont create real boost unless it is under load

launching a turbo car is a bit different than a naturally aspirated car...you rev your RPM's and feather the clutch which starts to put the motor under load and ups your boost, dump the clutch, floor it and :bolt:

galant vr4's are fast ass cars...especially since it is basically a performance car that has a family car body on it LOL...it shares the same chassis and all with the GSX...

launching a turbo car is a bit different than a naturally aspirated car...you rev your RPM's and feather the clutch which starts to put the motor under load and ups your boost, dump the clutch, floor it and  :bolt:

Now you say you going to feather the clutch and then dump the clutch, so which is it, :huh: and how are you going to feather the clutch with out the car moving. Don't you mean feather the throttle, and unless you are moving you are not putting a load on the motor. Basically your only trying to get enough enertia built up in the engine and flywheel to launch the car and sustain forward movement and/or wheel spin to keep you going long enough to get fast enough in 1rst geat so you dont drop below the RPM's at which your turbo can make boost other wise your car will fall on its face waiting for rpms to come back up so the boost will kick in again. You can make "real" boost in neutral, just not nearly as good as when your moving under a load because you can only hold the throttle wide open for about a second from idle untill it readlines so the turbo doesn't have time to fully spool up, but Its still enough to easily pop the BOV in my car. Was really easy with the T-25 it would hit almost 20 psi when reving it in neutral, but will even do it with my mutt ete32 but only to about 14 psi due to way more lag.

foot on brake, feather clutch with RPMs around 4500-5000. when you feel the car start to pull, your boost is jumping up (the engine is under load)...when you feel this, dump the clutch and floor the gas and let off the brake almost simultaneously this creates your load without the car moving

I worded it badly...

you can get up enough boost to pop your BOV with no load, but what I meant by true boost is that if you tried to take off with that "boost" it would instantly fall away to vacuum because there is no load to sustain the boost. you can spike your boost with no load but cant sustain it...like you said.

If you want to see a CRAZY turbo setup, go to www.stl3s.com and check out Von Morgan's car...that thing is just plain awesome...my mod list is there as well under my page on there

Hmmm :huh: Intersting launch method. Are you using the e-brake or your right foot for the throttle and break at the same time? Sounds like that would take a lot of practice. It's probably harder to break loose all 4 on the stealth because you've got wider tires and more overall traction. I just use the e-brake to keep the car from rolling, feather the throttle, dump the clutch when the rpms are on the way up at 4k and go for the spin all 4 off the line method myself. Actually anymore I avoid launching it hard like that, it eats clutches and is super hard on the car. Most AWD cars weren't really ment to be launched like drag cars although they do leap off the line if done right. :bolt: I know of a guy that goes to the same performance shop that I do that burned up a clutch on a new lancer EVO at 11k miles. :shootself: And the tires were alredy bald! banghead Ouch! I toasted my stock clutch at 60K miles and I bought the car at 38K and I wasn't even abusing it, probably the guy before me. banghead

i use my right foot for both (heel/toe). It's actually pretty common practice in racing...a lot of guys use heel/toe driving and blip shifting. It allows them to brake and blip the throttle to keep the RPMs up. it's easier than it sounds...you lift your heel off of the brake as you floor the gas. aftermarket pedals help with this a LOT!!!

read up on the EVO boards...they are really bitching about the stock clutches. there have been a bunch of them burn up. another BS thing mitsu is doing is actually watching the tracks...if you are running your car, they won't warranty anything. the local shitsubishi stealerships have actually taken pictures of license plates at Gateway Raceway and nigged on warranty work cuz the owner was racing. it's BS to tout a performance car that you cant perform in...

builds 15 pounds of boost at idle. sounds great

turbo cars dont build boost at idle, they create vacuum...

not sure but i looked at his guages and his laptop he showed me and told me that he built 15 pounds of boost at idle with the car just idling the wastegate stays open until he touches the gas. it makes a very high pitched noise. :headbang:

I have a buddy who owns a shop in CA that has a Skyline...really wasn't all that quick when he brought it to one of our national gatherings. I want to say it ran high 13's...about the same as a stock vr4. You can see it at www.gtpro.com...I think I have some vids of it somewhere running, I'll have to try and find them.

One word... Skyline.  I'd like to see a stock twin turbo Supra line up with stock Sky in the 1/4 mile.  Skylines have fast acceleration, supras have top speed.  So in the 1/4 mile, skyline would win.

I got a video that shows that!!! It's a 1000 km run, the Skyline has the Supra till about the 600 km mark and then the Supra starts to pull away...It was simply amazing :whoa: