Dynoedge Porting Sucks!

I just picked up my shee yesterday from dynoedge where I asked for their aggressive trail port. I wanted to broaden the powerband to compliment the mods that I already have to increase low end power (dynoport 2 into 1 pipe, trinity cv carb kit). After their porting I actually lost about 5 to 6 HP from 1500 rpm up to around 5500 rpm then the power curve shoots straight up! Very peaky, not at all what I wanted. I'm very pissed about what they did to my motor. They are saying that the power is peaky because of the dynoport pipe. This pipe is designed to bring more low end power. They are telling me that I should get fatty or gnarly pipes and I'll have my low end power again. What do you guys think? I don't really want to spend more money on a quad that I probably will not be keeping now. The overall horsepower went from 45 before porting, with lame top end to 58 with fresh top end and Dynosuck porting. The overall horsepower is ok, but I lost most of the low end power I had and that's what I wanted mor of!

My mods include; dynoport 2 into 1 pipe, trinity cv carb with airbox adapter, lightened flywheel, advanced timing 4 degrees, v force reeds, bored .020 over with wiseco pro-lites, welded crank, noss machine heads with 19cc domes.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that they screwed you on the port job. I'm just curious how much material they take out for trail porting.Maybe it can be corrected with someone else who knows their shit on good porting.It may save your cylinders. But hell......port job+port job=roughly 800 bucks! Are you on stock bore?

They should replace the cylinders if they are any good of a shop. But then again, do you have the original paperwork on the work that you wanted done and the expected power gains? If you do, you can take them to court.

you cant port for low end gains.... and still get top end gains. As soon as you raise that exhaust port, there goes your low-end power. If you wanted to keep the low end power close to stock, you shoulda told em to leave your exhaust ports alone and just clean up the ports and fiddle with the intakes. Raise your exhaust port and expect low end gains is just not gonna happen. And that dynoport pipe is prolly choking the whole setup now that yer ported up. Run the pipes that they recommend, the dude doing your porting work should be porting to compliment the exhaust pipes he suggests. The best setup for low end power might be stock porting.

I don't know the specifics about porting, I just wanted a broad powerband which is usually referred to as a trail or MX port. I didn't expect to actually lose low end power. If I knew I'd lose low end power I never would have had them port it in the first place. They did offer to put some stock jugs back on and not charge me for the porting, but this would have involved allot more travel and another trip back to their shop. I guess I'll be getting some fatty's and hope they help.

You should take the stock jugs and your money back for the port job. The fattys nor the Gnarlys are gonna bring you more lowend than the 2 into 1. I am not bashing anyone's port jobs because what you got to someone else may be the cat's ass. But if you don't like it now, it ain't gonna get no better. I have been through the same crap. I spent well over a grand on my old motor and rode it once. It set in the garage until I sold it and bought what I have now. Just my .02 dude, but if I were you and they were cool enough to retract what they did I would jump all over it.

Meat, the timing is advanced 4 degrees and they told me the compression is at 170 with 19cc domes. They did weld the crank and I'm running 50/50 race gas and pump with 927 at 32 to 1. Here's another thing, huh, they told me I don't need race gas with 170 compression. That goes against most of what I've learned in these fine forums.

Sounds like they might not know what they are doing and probably do mostly top end port jobs so they might not have a clue how to do more of a MX port. Sounds like you would have been a lot better off with just a "clean up" port. If your stuck with the jugs you might try the Gnarlies or fatties, they may respond to the porting a little better but I dont know if they will help you low end much.

how do you know you lost hp ? did you dyno it befor you ported it ? did you use the same dyno both times? did the person know what they were doing that dyno'd it was it jetted right dynos varry you could make 90 hp one day and 76 the next just to let ya know its how dynos work

there are alot of things that can varry on the dyno..... a dyno isn't a tool to see how much hp you have because its practicly imposibal to get a acurate reading its more for like if you dyno with a certain pipe and change the pipes like right then and dyno

170 psi you should only be running a 50/50 mix

just wondering have you rode the bike at all to see how the power feals ? or just dyno'd it ?

just wondering all this stuff because dynoedge is pretty well known and i have never really heard anything bad till this

if your sure that they screwed your whole motor up i would get the fmfs just to show them that they fucked up....... but it also sounds liek there doing what ever they can by offering you new cylinders and no charge

I am very good friends with Rob and John from Dynoege I live close to them They have done my porting and a bunch of my friends porting. I have 175 psi of compressing and run straight pump fuel!!! and I have never had a problem with overheating or detonation. I have the Agressive trail port also mine hits 72 horsepower and I have pleanty of lowend and top end. Your 2 problems are that pipe and the carb setup. And by running that 50/50 mix you are losing power actually!!! I am not saying that you are wrong and they are right by all means but when it comes to porting there are alot of differences in setups. but it does sound like you should of went with the mild port job instead. I would get a set of pipes from a buddy or something and try it, see what it does and that carb system is not all it is cracked up 2 be. Just my 2 cents.

Mullet boy the before and after dyno runs were on the same dyno before and after the porting.

Brian G. John has been great about it, he offered to buy my gas to bring the atv back and put stock jugs back on. I wish I had the time to make that weekend up there and back a few more times. I specifically ask John for porting that would compliment my current mods. Ask John and Rob and they'll show you the power curve before and after their porting. My situation now is should I spend 500 more bucks on this machine and hope that fatty pipes bring my low end back? Seem like throwing good money after bad to me.