Lean On One Cylinder

axlr3

i rode my stock 02 banshee on a blacktop road for about 10 miles and I noticed that one cylinder was smoking quite a bit more than the other. I then turned the air screw on the lean side 1/2 turn in and it seemed to be ok. i checked the plugs and one side was leaner than the other. this bike is nearly new and the air screws were both 1 1/2 turns. anyone know why one cylinder would have got leaner and had to be adjusted and is it ok to run it like this. thanks

i never thought of an air leak, although I have owned a couple banshees, i have never had to work on them, they have all been stock and fairly new. thanks for the idea, i will look for a air leak. do you think it would be ok to ride it? thanks

I had this discussion on a differnt forum a long time ago. I have the same problem. Mine smokes out of the left side alot more than the right. From what i gathered this is common problem. As long as it still runs hard it should be fine. I have had this for about 7 years no problems still kick butt. It would be nice to fix though.

It's the shoty stock carbs. They have to be in sync and ajusted exactly alike. Also, Banhee's choke is off of one carb, not two, that's why you need that crossover tube betwwen the carbs. That's also why one side will run richer then the other. The carb with the choke will have a tendency to draw fuel though the choke tube when it's not supposed to.

• Like 1

i never thought of an air leak, although I have owned a couple banshees, i have never had to work on them, they have all been stock and fairly new. thanks for the idea, i will look for a air leak.  do you think it would be ok to ride it? thanks

do a leak down as a last resort, in the mean time, check your compression, carb sync, air screws, if its hard to start, check to see if the choke tube is cracked, float level adjustment then well go from there.

It's the shoty stock carbs. They have to be in sync and ajusted exactly alike. Also, Banhee's choke is off of one carb, not two, that's why you need that crossover tube betwwen the carbs. That's also why one side will run richer then the other. The carb with the choke will have a tendency to draw fuel though the choke tube when it's not supposed to.

I agree with this statement for some dual carb setups and stock carbs especially.

It's been known to happen for some dual carbed shees to be leaner on one side than the other, for the above reasons. That's one of the many reasons I like single carbs, so both cylinders get fair and equal treatment.

I asked this before when i got my k&N setup:

The k&n manual told me to make the right side richer(over the left side) by going up 3 extra steps on the mains and up the needle 1 position.

Ofcourse i came here and asked why ;),

since i couldnt come up with a logical explanation.

Noone else could come up with a reasonable explanation at the time.

i checked my plugs recently and the right side was a tiny little bit leaner.

Could be an air leak, but i doubt it.

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

I think I'm having a related problem with the choke. My banshee is running lean on the right and rich on the left, according to left spark plug looking toasty brown and the right noticeably whiter than that. Also the right pipe gets way hotter than left. I adjusted both screws half a turn in to evade the lean. Could it be due to bad choke assembly or bad choke o-ring? Both carbs have identical setup: same main and pilot jets, synced, no air leaks found anywhere, no clogged jets, and air screws adjusted the same amount. Yeah I know I'm reviving an old thread, but just evading people to give shit being so anal about other creating new threads to ask for help. Plus it helps keep all the info in a single thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, juan_carlos__007 said:

I think I'm having a related problem with the choke. My banshee is running lean on the right and rich on the left, according to left spark plug looking toasty brown and the right noticeably whiter than that. Also the right pipe gets way hotter than left. I adjusted both screws half a turn in to evade the lean. Could it be due to bad choke assembly or bad choke o-ring? Both carbs have identical setup: same main and pilot jets, synced, no air leaks found anywhere, no clogged jets, and air screws adjusted the same amount. Yeah I know I'm reviving an old thread, but just evading people to give shit being so anal about other creating new threads to ask for help. Plus it helps keep all the info in a single thread.

If the pipes are getting diff temps try checking your float level, I had that issue before where my float level was off and one pipe was heating up more than the other. Stock carbs?  is the "choke side" the one with the plunger, the one that's lean?

If the pipes are getting diff temps try checking your float level, I had that issue before where my float level was off and one pipe was heating up more than the other. Stock carbs?  is the "choke side" the one with the plunger, the one that's lean?
No, it the right side the one thats lean. And yes they are stock carbs. I understand how a float thats not allowing fuel to fill up the bowls, but I'm very certain that the float levels are correct I set both the same with a caliper.