Banshee wont start

ezb99

Yamaha banshee wont start

I have a 2000 Yamaha banshee 350. Since I purchased it 3 years ago, it's started up first or second kick every time. Just recently I put new gas in it, cleaned the air filter, and (attempted to) replace the spark plugs. I started first by replacing the gas. Afterwards it started again on the first kick and ran fine. Then I tried to replace the spark plugs, realized that I bought the wrong ones, and put the old spark plugs back in. The first kick it started, and then died (first time this has ever happened). Then I started it again, and the same thing happened. After a couple more attempts I got the quad to idle again and everything seemed okay. Finally, I then took off the air filter, cleaned, and re-oiled it (I followed all of the k&n cleaning instructions very carefully), but when I put the air filter back on the next day I couldn't get it to start. I checked the plugs and there's still spark in both of them. When I try to bump start it it bogs for a couple seconds, then dies.

Any ideas? 

I'd also like to add that the screw inside the spark plug boot popped out of the boot when I took the plug out of the left cylinder. I simply threaded it back into the boot, but could this still be an issue? Again, it is still getting spark when I crank it.

You might want to consider changing the spark plug boots. The early year banshees had and used a non- resister spark plug B8ES and the part that unscrewed from the inside of the spark plug boot was the resister. The newer banshees don’t have the resister inside the spark plug boots because they uses resister spark plug BR8ES . This might help as well. 

image.jpeg.848bbf2c9d18c28fdfe1657b194c28be.jpeg

On 9/23/2023 at 8:17 PM, JerzOutlaw350 said:

You might want to consider changing the spark plug boots. The early year banshees had and used a non- resister spark plug B8ES and the part that unscrewed from the inside of the spark plug boot was the resister. The newer banshees don’t have the resister inside the spark plug boots because they uses resister spark plug BR8ES . This might help as well. 

image.jpeg.848bbf2c9d18c28fdfe1657b194c28be.jpeg

Just saw your comment, I appreciate the advice! I actually got the quad started (not idling) but only when I take the air filter off and keep the chokes off. I cleaned the carbs, but I'm still having the same issues. Do you think this could still be a spark plug problem? I replaced the plugs with new br8es plugs. Could the resistance plugs combined with the old-school resistor boots be too much resistance? If that's a thing? Again, I got it started and can keep it running, but only if I take the filter off, keep chokes off, and keep revving it.