2001 Banshee Top End Rebuild

Curtis929

When you take the heads off look at them very carefully and see if there are any scatches, feel with your hand also. If they look good just order a top-end rebuild kit, should come w/all gaskets needed, pistons, rings, circlips, and pin bearing. If they are scratched or scored you need to bore it one size.

I am wanting to rebuild my topend on the banshee but confused on what kit I need.  If I just hone the cylinders to clean them out and not bore do I just need a standard kit or do I need to bore out and go .20 over.  I have never done this before.  Or what steps do I take in doing this?

take your cylinders to a local atv /bike shop and have them measure the bore.they have special inner diameter bore gauges that will tell them if your out of spec for another set of standard bore pistons.

You will have to hone the cylinder out no matter what, That gives the rings a nice smooth surface to seat against. Definately check to see what the bore size is before you order a kit, I guess I took it for granted you knew. As for the welding crank, I think it's a good idea especially if you have more mods than just pipes.

Ok I get it now I understand the process Thanks for everyones help on this. I am thinking I am just going to do the rebuild and in the next 6 months I will do another and then true and weld the crank. As of right now I have a Cool head with 19cc domes. Pro Circuit Pipes K&N Airfilter with open airbox and properly jetted and ran on a dyno made 47.5hp.