Workbench?

boonman

Well, I kind of got a handle on the workbench situation. I am pretty stoked. Here's the specs. Top height is 36", and it is 23.5"x94" long. it will have a 14" backdrop, and I haven't installed the middle shelf. The top piece is 3/8" thick 304 stainless. Best part is, I got it all for free!!!!!! I used 2"x2" mechanical tubing to make up the frame. The hex bolts that currently hold it down will be replaced with stainless steel Flathead cap screws. The bottom shelf will have a 23.5"x48" piece of 3/8" plate bolted in place as well. Same as the top. I brushed some good ol' Rust oleum satin black paint on it, and she looks stellar. it will be ancchored to the floor. :) I have a bunch more stainless plates that I will be making into workbenches in the future. Hopefully I will have enough room in the new shop for them....

Here's some pics.. DOn't mind the ridiculous mess in the garage...... :unsure:

fa3aa97f.jpg

fa3aa974.jpg

fa3aa96d.jpg

In the background you can see the small block blazer that is currently waiting for me to rebuild the drivetrain. Which was the primary need for the new workbench in a hurry. I have to rebuild the tranny, and nowhere to lay it out.... :rolleyes: In front of it, is the smaller stainless plate. Hopefully, the new shee drag motor will be next in line to go up on the new surface!!!! Man, simple things excite me these days.....

/me plugs ears, shuts eyes.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

j/k

I so badly need a decent workbench. I've actually got 3 or 4, but there are other projects going on at the same time all laying around here and there. I need a decent stainless bench that I can put Banshee only stuff on. It would have to be big though.

Booon, what would you recommend for a bench top?? I can build the frame out of wood easily, if I know what size of stainless (guage or thickness) would work out well. I'm thinking 1/8 would suffice for my smaller projects. then make it about 2.5-3.0 feet by about 6-8 feet long.

How long did it take to make?

It took me about 3 hours to go get the material, and load/unload it all. It took about 4 hours to cut the frame material and weld it all together. It took about another hour or so to get the fram home and into the garage and cleaned up. it took about an hour to get the plate on top of the frame and bolted down half assed. It took another hour to paint it. I still have to bolt it down completely and get the bottom plate on. Keep in mind this was all done by myself, and the finishing of it, (mounting the plate and painting) was done while I had a wicked sinus infection/bronchitis and was constantly damn near passing out. Could have been all the kerosene fumes as well..... It was perty cold outside.... :(

Booon, what would you recommend for a bench top?? I can build the frame out of wood easily, if I know what size of stainless (guage or thickness) would work out well. I'm thinking 1/8 would suffice for my smaller projects. then make it about 2.5-3.0 feet by about 6-8 feet long.
Well, depending on what you like, You could do it several different ways. I myself do not like having a pussy ass workbench. When I clamp something in a vice, (yet to be installed!!) I do not want the bench moving all around. That's why I am anchoring it to the floor. Also, wood framed work benches, while they are cheap, SUCK. Wood flexes. That's why I built the frame from steel. I used 2x2x.125 wall tubing for the top, and .0625 wall for the legs and bottom framework. I just checked our last P.O. at the shop, and 288' of 2x2x.125 wall tubing was $267 delivered. That's less than a dollar a foot. I used I think about 35' of material. That's a cheap frame. You could spend that in wood and screws alone... And the sheer strength of a steel frame is well worth the extra cost. On the top plate Stan, I would not go less than 1/8" thick. I would think that 1/8" would be stout enough, but I would rather see some 3/16" in there. My 3/8" is wicked overkill, but, hey, it's free. I checked out alot of people's benches in various shops, and found them all to be from 1.5'-3' wide. The material I got just happened to be about 2'. It is a realy nice, manageable width. I would have liked to have about a 2.5' wide though. I wouldn't go over 8' long, unless you have a long wall to put it on. A backdrop is nice to have, unless this bench will be in the middle of a floor and getting used from all sides. Sometimes, shit rolls off the back of the banch, and pisses you off. So, a backdrop is useful to prevent such occurences, and what not. Also provides a nice place to mount some outlets...... 6'-8' is a perfect length. I went 8'. Looks like it is gonna be right fine.

Nice Bench, Good thing you arent planning on moving it any time soon. That must weigh a ton. I bet it would last through a Nuclear War.

I, myself, am planning on making a bench, but for wood working. I hope to acquire a nice 2" butcher block top. McMaster carr has exactly what I need but i dont want to spend 200 bones on it. So I may be able to steal one from work. :rolleyes:

I got it almost completed!!! I got the backdrop on it Christmas eve, and drilled and countersunk some bolts to hold the top plate down. I slid the middle shelf plate in there, and I still have to anchor it down. I have to find a good vice to put on there, but it should be coming together by the end of the weekend. We'll see. That shit is a PITA to drill holes in with caveman drills and wood bits... :o:unsure::rolleyes: Maybe if I summon the drill gods I can "borrow" a drill or two from work... :)