94 Banshee started on 3rd kick...warmed up...put it in gear...let out on clutch...went BACKWARDS!?!?!?

I've got a 94 Banshee I recently bought. I haven't done anything to it except put gas and oil in it. I know it needs some "freshening up" but I've been too busy having fun on it. Well yesterday during Easter I wanted to get out of the house so I went and started up the girl, let her warm up, kicked off the chokes then put it in gear and I went backwards! I let it stall out because I had no idea what was going on. I started it again and it did it two more times before finally not wanting to start at all. I've never had anything do this before, I've head of old tractors and such but never a quad. 

I need help here. What to check 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

NOTE: The bike has had some work done before I acquired. The guy listed Wiseco long stroke pistons and race carbs, VForce4 Reeds...everything else looks pretty stock even the CDI.

4/20 Update - Went out to begin the tear down process and thought I'd see if she fired up, I kicked it 3 times and it fire up. Warmed it up and was able to put it in gear and go forward with no issues. Ran it for about 20 minutes with no issues. No idea why or how this happened and how its "ok" now. Still going to do some inspections and see what I can see.