Choke No Effect

nickr2184

I am trying to get the jetting right on my banshee with my new pipes. When i pull the choke out, it doesn't do anything. I was wondering if this might be because i have too big of a main jet in. I have paul turner mids, pro design foam filter, no lid. I started with 300 mains and it smoke something fierce and it didn't run right. I am now down to 270's and it still smokes a little, but i don't have any low end power. I started with the clip in 4th position then moved to the 3rd and i really didn't notice much. I am in IL and it is cold out 30-40's. Do you think i need to keep going down in the main jets? Thanks

OK the choke doing nothing could be a couple things:

1. If the bowls are reversed the choke won't work (there's a small jet in an enclosed passage on the left carb bowl, not in the right bowl)

2. The choke tube might not be in place between carbs (and it may not run very good without it either)

If your pilots were way too rich, the choke MIGHT not kill the motor when you pop it out at an idle, but in that case it probably wouldn't idle at all (and it sounds like you have stock pilots, needing smaller than stock pilots almost never happens). If the pilots were way lean, it should idle better with the choke off, that doesn't sound like the case either.

So I'd check the tube and the bowls first and see if you can get the choke working.

Sounds like you're on the right track with the mains, but since you say it has no low end power you might try going a size larger on the pilots (27.5) and play with the airscrews to see if you can get a good off-idle response. I'd leave the needles where they are and try the larger pilots and the mains you have now and see how it runs; you may need to go smaller on the mains but be careful you don't go too lean. Good luck.