FOX floats @$650.00

This old banshee

I have a question regarding the shocks I've seen them on eBay for $650 for a pair.

I believe they are stock length I need somebody to school me first let me tell you what I have.

My Banshee has the lone Star "blue paint" I believe that's 2+1.

I have never ridden another banshee I don't have anything to base off of.

I am fairly certain this machine has the YZF 450 shocks...... Which I know work but are not ideal.

A couple of shops who have worked on my Banshee one who built my motor said he can't stand the way it rides and makes him uncomfortable and that he cannot get it to wheelie.

I cannot get the bike to wheelie either unless really revved up and pop the clutch aggressively..... It's weird.

The bike was an MX race bike out of Arizona.... I must say it seems to handle quite well for me in tight stuff as it has a minus 1 swingarm I believe.... And an Ohlins rear shock.

so however good at handles in the tight stuff it is terrible in a straight line this thing weaves back and forth 3 ft each side you must constantly pay strict attention to it..... Now other people who have ridden my bike are scared to ride it because of this..... Not driving another Banshee I don't know.... But it's very squirrely in a straight line I'm guessing that it's not stable in a straight line due to the fact that is set up to turn very good which it really does I can attest to that..... Advice on where I would start to try and stop the dirtiness and weaving at speed....

However it does not seem to soak up whoops, to where I would feel comfortable?,

I really don't know where to start with this suspension and adjustments but I'm fairly certain the shocks just.... gotta go.

As far as straight-line stability any suggestions would be great.

So what do you guys think about the Fox float shocks... I'm frankly not Eva going to spend $1,000 for shocks so let's not suggest that. I have a friend who has a cheetah power-valve 400cc Banshee and he bought it with floats he loves it and it's told me I would be happy but he's never ridden another Banshee either...

Sorry for the detail but I try to include everything so somebody can educate me and where to start don't see many Banshees out there these days.

• 5 weeks later...

yzf450 shocks are generally stiffer than others, and would not be the cause of squirrelyness. How are the ball joints on your A-Arms? If it was an MX bike they are probably shot. What about your tie rods? How about your steering stem? If your problem with the bike is steering, then suspension isn't your answer.

• 2 months later...

Definitely get rid of those yfz shocks. I would not call it a mx build with those on it, they are far too stiff and will cause huge arm pump after a few laps.  

The yfz shocks are longer and might have more sag making it more difficult to lift the front end, your rear shock might also be soft and soaking up some of the power.

It is a strong possibility that you have excess caster, and this may be the reason it feels unstable at high speeds, it’s a trade off, low speed agility vs high speed stability. Do your upper a arms have spacers on one side?

If you plan on hitting jumps and whoops you should really look for a shock with high speed compression adjustment, but the float 3’s should be a big improvement over standard yfz shocks

-Ben