Left cylinder not always firing

rkooienga

I just rebuilt my banshee a few days ago got it running it was okay for a while then it started to mis-fire in the left cylinder so I shut it off. I re-torqued all the head bolts and cylinder bolts got brand new plugs in and again it ran good for a whille then the left cylinders had issues again.The right cylinder wont mis-fire or backfire it runs great and gets up to temp mormally but after about ten minutes of Idiling the bike the left cylinder/header/and silencers are warm if that. My question is what could be causing it? I know the cylinders are running a little rich. I know the carbs have been sitting for a couple weeks. So should I start by cleaning the carbs? Also I remember putting on the piston butnot sure which one went on top and which went on bottom. One is much thicker than the other and I am pretty sure I put the thick one on the bottom. But I need some help to get this thing running. 

Running stock carbs/stock air intake/stock pipes/bored to 65mm

where did you buy your parts (what kind of pistons) im assuming you meant piston rings, both rings are the same should be.   just an fyi, you could have kept posting in your old thread you already made.  do both pipes get warm? stock jets? whats the temps where you are at?

Ok I bought Namura Cast pistons. had my cylinders professionaly bored to fit them. I was told in an earlier thread that stock jets were fine. No both pipes dont get warm just the right side is getting to temp.Also only the left cylinder is getting hot not the left. Do you think the left isnt firing at all? Right now its in the thirties, I thought that would effect it but not to bad. But yes the rings that came with the pistons had the same ring gap but one was thicker in both piston sets.

i bought it with a tors delete. But If they were synced together before, they probably arent far off each other. With them being just a little off would that make one entire cylinder not fire? And say I were to switch them and then the right started to mis-fire would that would mean that the carbs need work right?

8 minutes ago, rkooienga said:

Would having the reeds stuck open create this problem?

Also im at work so I cant look at it right now but what if the carb on just the left side has the slide stuck open that would create to much fuel and just drown out that cylinder Correct? I will check the carb syncs tonight and also clean out the carbs, Swap the sides and try it.

So I only had time to just look at my carbs last night and the carbs are off by 1/8 of sinc. The left carb slide is the one that is lower by 1/8 inch would that create the issue of not firing? Should I clean the carbs before I sync them Today? I have the day off today so i will be working on it in an hour. 

i would check compression if I were you just to be safe, I wouldnt trust china pistons..  clean carbs, could be a clogged pilot jet . both pipes should still get hot at Idle even if carb sync is off slightly, but clearly you want to fix that before riding it. 

Edited by Ayesully810

18 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

i would check compression if I were you just to be safe, I wouldnt trust china pistons..  clean carbs, could be a clogged pilot jet . both pipes should still get hot at Idle even if carb sync is off slightly, but clearly you want to fix that before riding it. 

Ok so I cleaned the carbs and this time it didnt want to fire up so i pulled both the carbs out again and this time the reeds too. I made sure the reeds were clean and good so I put those back in. I looked at the carbs again and the jets were clean but I noticed that my float bowls were both identical. So i blew through the chock chanmber hole in the right carb float bowl, and the air went right through. But i did it in the other float bowl and the air didnt pass through. So I put the correct float bowl on the correct carb. I synced them before trying to start it. I kicked it once with the choke out and it fired up first kick and both cylinders were firing and got hot. 

They are still really rich. Theres oil sputtering out both pipes. Is that good for the breakin and then lean it out with carb settings later after the break in?

What is everyones opinion of how to do a break-in. I have just done a total of two heat cycles.

Also what is good compression number? near 120 psi or higher for a brand new motor?

18 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

sweet, 

120 -130 depending on elevation for stock motor with no compression mods.  as far as break in steel sleeve is supposedly different than plated cylinders.  plated you can break them in hard, but steel sleeve you are suppose to do a couple cycles or something like that then baby it a bit the first ride, then hammer down. idk much about break ins