Banshee intermittent spark

Hey guys,  My banshee died this past weekend after a trail ride.  I pulled the plugs and no spark.  Then a couple mins later it started and ran ok.  Then about another 5 miles it ran great and as I was going around some water and it died again but started again after a few kicks.  Then it died again in about 20 ft and would not start again.  We towed it for a few miles and while under tow it would not jump start or kick start.  Then a short while later it started fine with the kick starter.  I then drove it down the road wide open throttle and it seemed like it could not get going as fast as it should but I was still moving pretty good.

Next day, it started and ran good but at once I thought it was going to die but it never did.  When I got home, I pulled the tank etc and looked at the wiring and nothing was chafed through that I could quickly see.  The only thing I noticed was a broken ground wire at the voltage regulator.  Not sure whats it for but the bike runs fine with it broken.

Tonight I am planning on doing a stator test cold and warm and see what the readings are.

Anyone have any other suggestions.

2003 FMF fatty's, B-reeds, Adjustable stator plate with ricky stator pick up coil, TORS removed.

OHM stator charging coil and pick up coil, not sure specs off hand but you can find them easily

OHM coil leads and secondary leads, OHM spark plug boots those are 5K i believe 

check harness for anything unusual, makes sure your clips from your harness are tight on the primary leads on your coil

with all that said my guess is bad stator or coil.  oem all day if you replace anything

Edited by Ayesully810

Ok so I tested all of the above mentioned.

The stator tests ok
The coil secondary leads are ok
The coil primary resistance is 0.8(terminal to terminal)
The boots vary
1 is 9600 ohms
2 is unreadable???

So I have 2 questions...

The internal resistance to my meter is .5 ohms. Do I subtract the meter resistance from the indicated resistance of 0.8? If so the coil is good. 0.3 ish. If not coil is shot.

Second. One plug boot is unreadable. Could that cause the problem? I didn’t have spark when it died on either plug but maybe I didn’t get a good connection on that particular side

For now I will change the boots and do you think change the coil or not?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is my thoughts, 

if it only does it when you get wet, you have a rub through in your harness.  mine had the same problem, got a harness from JDS and it was solved. runsbetter than ever.

if it does it when you ride for a while, the coil could be getting hot and starting to fail.  

If neither of those mattered, make sure your stator isnt all rusty and pickup gap is set correct. 

Water doesn’t seem to be an issue and I was intentionally trying to hit water fast to try and duplicate the problem.

As for heat on the coil, that maybe it. I tested it again this morning and it’s barely with in the limits of .28 to .38 ohms. (.4 ish). So I heated the coil up a little bit and the resistance kept dropping to next to nothing. .1 to 0 ohms.

So I have ordered new plugs, coil and boots and will try it out next week.

Tonight I will pull the stator cover and check everything in there out

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Rode it for a couple days and no issues. One ride would have simulated the exact same scenario when it quit on me last week.

Looks like it might be fixed. The true test will be when I ride with a buddy and put some serious miles on.

Thanks again!!!

fix that ground!!  that being said, yes, you always take a zero reading on your meter and subtract that from your readings.   usually, if its fairly high, like half an ohm or more, its a good sign your battery is almost dead in the meter, but some meters just read high with a fresh battery.  the cap can still work, even though it reads bad, but usually has a drop out at idle.  it still needs to be replaced, as it will keep burning out the break in the cap till it does become a problem for that cylinder.