Top end refresh

May be a dumb question but is it absolutely necessary to bore and hone your cylinder if your just replacing your pistons? Top end isn’t bad but just feel safe replacing on a new quad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, BBoy69 said:

May be a dumb question but is it absolutely necessary to bore and hone your cylinder if your just replacing your pistons? Top end isn’t bad but just feel safe replacing on a new quad

Absolutely necessary, no. Proper way to do it, yes. Any time you change your rings you should hone the cylinder so they seat properly. Otherwise you're throwing power (and money) down the drain. If the cylinder is out of round or ring end gap/piston clearance out of spec no point in doing a hone, send them off to be bored. 

Absolutely necessary, no. Proper way to do it, yes. Any time you change your rings you should hone the cylinder so they seat properly. Otherwise you're throwing power (and money) down the drain. If the cylinder is out of round or ring end gap/piston clearance out of spec no point in doing a hone, send them off to be bored. 

Thanks for the respond like I said top end isn’t bad but I think I’m going to buy so new oem cylinders anyway to send off to hjr cam or macdaddy haven’t decided yet done wanna be waiting months for just a port job

If you're going to get new cylinder soon anyway save the money on the pistons and just buy the new setup now. Why put new pistons in cylinders you are going to replace soon?

Thanks for the respond like I said top end isn’t bad but I think I’m going to buy so new oem cylinders anyway to send off to hjr cam or macdaddy haven’t decided yet done wanna be waiting months for just a port job

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I thought about just replacing the pistons in my old setup but I’m gonna just go with a whole new set up porting dimes just bought some 34mm pj carbs

A little over $200 bucks? Too much?

Yeah probably. They are decent carbs imo but a pain to setup. Pwk is much preferred around here. I'm seen PJ sell as cheap as $75 and as much as $200.

Pj? Pwk? I’m lost

Those carbs you posted a picture of are knock off air striker junk. If you ordered those exact carbs cancel your order. Search on here for Keihin PJ and Keihin PWK, lots of information on it.

Post a picture of the actual carbs when you can. We'll tell you what you have so at least you know.

I bought em off a guy who was parting out his banshee locally probably was a dumb mistake

On 5/5/2018 at 4:21 PM, 97Screamer said:

I would tear down my bike at the end of the season and check the bores for size and roundness, if they were still in spec and I could hone them clean I would re-ring it. Its possible to just re-ring it, or change the pistons and rings "correctly"