New Top End Downtime

Baileycakes

what is the downtime after the top end is replaced and being able to ride it normally again? 

My dilemma is this; I only use my Banshee during snow storms (which is DEC, JAN & FEB where i live)

How long is the break in period?? i rather break it in now opposed to the winter when i really want to ride it?

or is there no break in time??

RELEVANT INFO:

last compression test was 115 on both sides..about three months ago

As of today the quad rides great.

Thanks all

rebuild the top end

pressure test motor for air leaks

start it up make sure there are no leaks any where

ride it down the road make sure it shifts through all the gears fine. Then hammer down!

a lot of guys on here will say you need to break the motor in before riding it hard and then you have some who will do heat cycles and what not before.  If you wanna take that route it should only take a couple hours to "break it in."

21 hours ago, kawa110 said:

Doesn't take long for the rings to "seat"

Only in snow storms, huh  We dont have designated areas on long Island to ride.(beaches, parks and roads are all off limits) there is one private track in Calverton but they dont like sports atvs to much... nearest real multi acre atv park is 3 hours away for me in Pennsylvania. not to mention i dont own a truck or trailer, so i am limited to riding only during snow storms... also once a week during the year i start it up and take a quick ride around the neighborhood. not as bad as it seems. during the snow the streets are usually full of atvs until the pavement becomes visible and the snow melts away.. 

"Break in" is not just to seat the rings

If it is a stock cyl motor (or any steel sleeve cyl) the piston is aluminum. The piston swells (especially when new) quicker than the sleeve. After the piston is heated and cooled a few times it doesn't swell as rapidly or as much as when "new". So for me I do suggest a break in period (heat cycles, 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, ect..) on steel sleeve motors to allow the piston to harden (acclimate to the verious temp changes). Most steel sleeve motors if they haven't been broke in right when you pull them apart you will see scoring on all 4 corners of the piston. Same thing if you just start up a steel sleeve motor and just take off with out letting it warm up (aka cold seizing). So breaking in is just a process to allow the piston to acclimate to the steel sleeve (swell and contract). This is all determined off of piston to wall clearance the more clearance the less break in time. Nicasil is differant as it is more forgiving and swells quicker than a steel sleeve. But everyone has there own opinion and this is just my opinion. 

Edited by JUSTWANNARACE
  • Like 1