Alright guys I'm in need of some serious help! Long story short I have had a banshee that I THOUGHT (previous owner claimed) was a 405cc and the quad was FAST. No im not a newby that thinks everything is fast but no, the quad hurt feelings. After 4-5 years of abuse the banshee has finally let go when I tried some VP 110 that cost me the pistons. Started the tear down process and now have come to find out that the pistons are wiseco 353's. 

with this being said, I ride my banshee in the sand dunes and would really love to become competitive. I'll be splitting the case to get the rest of my piston debris out but now that the motor will be torn completely down I see this as a great opportunity to build it bigger. 

My dilema now is that I don't know where to go with it. My banshee has never looked good. It's all spray painted and beat up but I like it because it gives it the "sleeper" look. So now I would like to make it fast but still carry the sleeper look. The motor is on the ground now and ready to split the case so the crank will be coming out anyways. I thought about running the 421 cheetah cub kit since the crank will be out anyways. I've always wanted to go with a 421 cheetah cub kit but was told I can't run my fmf gnarly pipes with it. So I started looking into Athena 392 kits but have heard not many people like them. But the biggest issue for me overall is TUNING! I don't know the first thing about tuning one of these so then I thought maybe I should just drop 353 pistons back in it. HELP!! I don't know where to take this project next. Are there big bore kits out there with pre-jetted carbs and timing mark suggestions. Is there more to the tuning then just timing and jetting? What should I be looking into if I want to run 91 at a 40:1 mixture? I'm knowledable with motors, but I'm more of a car enthusiast so looking at my banshee motor, I'm familiar with some parts, but it's an entire new ball park.

I would split your cases and see if there is any other damage that was done first so you can gauge your budget.  If your crank is toast and your going to go with a 4 mil you might as well get a 421 driveline setup or cub, serval, etc whatever your riding style demands are.  But either way, doesn't matter with what option you choose, your gunna have to learn to tune the bike with any setup you get.  Also, you CAN run anything you want with the setup (fmfs, stock carbs), most people don't and it just wont be optimal and there will be more power to be had for sure.

btw if u want the 421 setup with better pipes and carbs your budget is gunna have to be more than 1500

crank-  450

top end- 800 to 900

pipes- 550 to 675

carbs- 350

filters- 80

adds up quick

• Like 1

Do a 4 mil stock cylinders build with a dune typ port. Keep stock carbs but add billet bowls, add a shift mod (like a promod), billet clutch basket, driveline head, and hot rod crank. You'll be within your budget and making 75-85 hp.

Edited by gusto

21 minutes ago, gusto said:

Do a 4 mil stock cylinders build with a dune typ port. Keep stock carbs but add billet bowls, add a shift mod (like a promod), billet clutch basket, driveline head, and hot rod crank. You'll be within your budget and making 75-85 hp.

This is what throws me off. What do people mean by "4 mil with stock cylinders and a dune type port". Are you saying get the crank and then just bore out my stock jugs to fit a 421cc piston? This sounds more like my type of build and I've heard people talk about it, however I don't quite understand what they mean by it

No. A 421 piston is 68mm so that will be with aftermarket jugs like driveline or CP Industries (cubs and servals for ex). What you do is get a 4 mil crank (longer) and have a builder match the porting to that longer crank and cut domes to account for extra stroke. A set of stock cylinders are good to 66-66.5 mm piston so that puts you around 400cc ish. I would highly recommend you call some builders like the ones that sponsor this page and get quotes then send off your engine. Also, use the search function and read up on some of these builds. Good luck with your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crackerman96 said:

This is what throws me off. What do people mean by "4 mil with stock cylinders and a dune type port". Are you saying get the crank and then just bore out my stock jugs to fit a 421cc piston? This sounds more like my type of build and I've heard people talk about it, however I don't quite understand what they mean by it

You said you where familiar with car motors..

4mm crank in a banshee.. is like taking a chevy 350 and bolting in a crank out of a 400. Bolts right in and makes more cc's (car world ci's).. 400 crank in a 350 make a 383.. a stock banshee motor is 347cc bolt in a 4mm crank and it's a 373cc. 

a 2stroke has no valves so the "port opening" acts as a valve in a car motor..

Now on to actual "porting" .. when people say they have a "ported motor" the "port opening" has been ground to change the duration the exhaust and intake stay open or closed.. like changing a cam in car car motor..

There is alot more involved in a 2 stroke like transfer heights, angles of ports, blow down, squish, combustion chamber, ect.. but that gives you the basic idea on what people are saying when they have a "ported" motor

• Like 2