Randomly dies out after riding about 20 mins?

jlaits

After it dies out on me I can start it right back up and go for a few more mins then dies out again. Idles perfect and sounds good throughout the gears. Ohmed the oem stator and was in spec. Wiring has no burns or anything. I have extra ground wire from frame to engine. Ohmed coil but was getting weird readings. I think it's my meter. Tors completely removed from harness. What do you guys think?

If your tester is good enouph to ohm stator it should work on coil, if your getting a bouncing reading in the caps take caps off and test rite to

wires

It gets steady reading but I don't think I have the right settings. I'm getting a used oem coil to replace the aftermarket one I have now just to be sure. I think it was a bronco? I got it from a dealer for $40 when I was chasing a no spark issue years ago

Check gas tank and carb vents.

I took off the breather valve on the cap and it still did it. Didn't check the screen in the tank. I cleaned out the tank in 2010 probably do for a cleaning anyway. Carbs were throughly cleaned in August with all new vent hoses. Thanks for the idea. I'll check it out this weekend

7dade670cdc6686a013d1bc0d9ae6a61.jpg this is the only way it will read anything. I'm thinking my meter is to cheap. This is my old coil. I put the used oem on and it started up but don't have time to go for a ride until tomorrow to see if it still shuts down on me

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Well I finally got a chance to take a ride. When the bike shut off again after about 20 minutes of riding I checked the oem stator and the ignition coil ohmed out to 22.4 and the pickup was 136.2. So the stator must be it being that the ignition coil is 1.9 over the range. I really was hoping it wasn't bad. I do have a rm stator that works but I don't trust it.

Cold stator ignition 17.6 pickup 113.9