Rebuild Suggestion

Hey everybody this is my first post on here! I just recently picked up a 1987 Banshee it was running when I got it but very low compression so I decided to start tearing it down. The pistons that were in it are 66.25 mm and the cylinders look like they could use a bore so my question is should I get the cylinder bored out for a 66.5mm piston or would that be pushing the stock Jug? I called the local Yamaha dealer they said they wanted $125 per cylinder to bore them which seemed pretty expensive? I was looking at some big bore rebuild kits but I don't know much about whats out there,  If anybody could give me any suggestions on what I should do i would really appreciate it! Thanks, Mike.

I'd let the pros decide whether the cylinders only need to go to 66.5.  If it was me, I'd invest in something new.

You can find some used stock jugs on a smaller bore and have them ported or go with Driveline or some CP cylinders.

I'm not sure if there boring them on hand, I dropped them off three days ago he said he would call me and let me know what needed to be done, still haven't heard from him and I tried calling no answer hoping to here back soon so I can figure out what piston size to order.I was looking into the 392 assassin big bore kit also has anybody had experience with this kit or heard anything good or bad about it?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I miss read you're comment, I'm not sure if they have the pistons on hand at the shop or not

you want them to get the pistons pre boreing the cylinders becuz, piston arent perfect size there allways a little bit off, and the shop ur geting work done from should do it this way if they do it right everything needs to be in spec to run optimum and run a lomg life.

They usally set the ring gap to but u should allways double check em when there in ur hands

Good luck with ur build.

Edited by Yamahafan#1

I'm not sure if there boring them on hand, I dropped them off three days ago he said he would call me and let me know what needed to be done, still haven't heard from him and I tried calling no answer hoping to here back soon so I can figure out what piston size to order.I was looking into the 392 assassin big bore kit also has anybody had experience with this kit or heard anything good or bad about it?

Been lots of positive feedback on them. Look in the Sponsor Spotlight topics