Is this something to worry about?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pulled the head off. Actually came off pretty easily. I was hoping this would be the case since I did start the motor and ran it through couple heat cycles previously. Anyways here's a pic of the studs. Right side would not thread as far as the left

Also found a small thread shaving that looks to have chipped off one of the domes where the plugs thread in when I removed the head. Musta fallen in last night when I installed the plugs luckily I didn't start motor and I pulled the head off... Was a little concerned when I got these new domes also because one of them fit more snug in the head compared to other one.

99b338643fd1382ef9d36a2f15b4cb68.jpg

92a1f76822e3b2b670be79b86a1c26a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by braptor52

25fb6bd096a1447950f5831cefcd21db.jpg

Took a pick tool and was able to peel up more material around plug. I know I snugged these up but I know I didn't tighten them hard enough to start stripping the hole out. Glad I removed this head...

And if I didn't have enough problems I just noticed all this black sand gritty stuff in the cooling system. It's made its way everywhere. Never noticed it when I drained it initially. I know this bike has been in the sand but I don't recall ever seeing this before. I flushed the radiator out and washed the new cylinders before I went back together. Dono where it's from maybe from the cylinders left over casting material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke38341fc7709c4dd0398f419e670381b.jpg

Edited by braptor52

So pulled the head off. Actually came off pretty easily. I was hoping this would be the case since I did start the motor and ran it through couple heat cycles previously. Anyways here's a pic of the studs. Right side would not thread as far as the left

Also found a small thread shaving that looks to have chipped off one of the domes where the plugs thread in when I removed the head. Musta fallen in last night when I installed the plugs luckily I didn't start motor and I pulled the head off... Was a little concerned when I got these new domes also because one of them fit more snug in the head compared to other one.

99b338643fd1382ef9d36a2f15b4cb68.jpg

92a1f76822e3b2b670be79b86a1c26a3.jpg

The first picture. I don't know if the studs are way off, or if the water jackets are cast bad. But that is way off.

.050-.060 on swish is a huge diffrence so which is it . How are you checking it? If your only testing one side readings will be higher due to piston rock on the pin , you need to have solder on both sides to get correct squish . You should have a smaller number towards the cylinder wall and get a lil bigger towards plug hole if domes are cut correctly

When you guys talk about the water jacket having bad casting, are you talking about how the stud isn't centers between the two?

bansn_zpswiclblmo.png

That and the difference in how far they are from the out side of the cylinder. I can't draw on pics like that but just a little down and in towards the center, they appear way different

am I the only one wondering what type of cell he's using to take pictures? them fuckers are crystal clear! lol....

Your on the right track with these guys guidance!!!

As mentioned either the water jackets are off center or the studs are.... USUALLY if the studs where off center the head wouldnt slide on and off easy... odds are the cylinders werent poured perfectly and are off center?

When you received the cylinders did you only clean the ports or did you also previously clean them out a-z... (including water jackets) Usually ill throw some compressed air through the whole cyl before instal

I was test fitting the trinity head over the cylinders last night and they fit smoothley but the heads or the cylinders are shaped differently. I'll get a few pictures of what I'm talking about. Oh and I'm using a iPhone 6 to take all my pictures haha it works good especially in my sorry garage lighting.

I didn't even think about casting sand when I cleaned the cylinders before I installed them. I was worried about metal shavings so I just washed them with hot soapy water in the sink and let air dry. I think if I were to boil some water then let it cool a tad bit and then drop the cylinders in an let them soak it may have loosened up the sand. I have a hot jet parts washer at work I could try too.

Edited by braptor52

.050-.060 on swish is a huge diffrence so which is it . How are you checking it? If your only testing one side readings will be higher due to piston rock on the pin , you need to have solder on both sides to get correct squish . You should have a smaller number towards the cylinder wall and get a lil bigger towards plug hole if domes are cut correctly

My squish was actually .055 on left cylinder and .058 on right cylinder. I measured each cylinder on both sides of piston above wrist pin with solder and through the spark plug hole