Cutting carb springs for softer throttle

There's a limit to how much you can cut (obviously).  Cutting the spring will actually make the spring itself stiffer, but shortening also reduces the preload of the spring which has more of an effect.  The end result is minor.  I'd leave it where you are now so that you still have stiffness in them to force the slides down incase something tries to stick a slide open.

A good cable that has been lubed properly can go a long way.  I got a pressure/vacuum bleeder and forced lube through the cable and some pretty nasty shit came out the other end and it made it much easier.  You can rent one from most parts hosues.  Buying a new cable will likely benefit you and those DO need to be lubed.  I've got one on the way from FAST and will be adding metal tubing around all of the bends and gluing them in place so as to keep any tight spots from forming.  I also ordered an extended thumb throttle. 

Lastly, make sure the components in the thumb throttle housing are clean.  Removing the spring there makes a nice difference, but you will find out very quickly if your cable is binding up.  That is a mod that I do not recommend.

• 2 weeks later...