Battery for led lights

Abe

Need some advice on a small possible rc type battery pack that would be sufficient to keep my lights from flickering at idle. Total of 20 watt draw for both headlights plus whatever a tail light will be. I am running a rectifier type converter that doesn't require floating the ground. Also i have not actually tried running them without a battery. So if you have experienced no flicker with this small of draw lmk as I will ditch the battery idea.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some rectifier regulators or bridge rectifiers need a battery to work right.  I tried a simple bridge rectifier without and burned up a set of lights.  Trail techs also says must have one.  I used a Tenergy 2000mah battery http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-12V-2000mAh-NiMH-Battery-Pack-w-Bare-Leads-/390335352447?hash=item5ae1ccce7f

It fits in the tool tray very well.  I bought 2 but they only shipped one at first, and the one was sufficient, but planned on fitting the 2 in together in parallel for more capacity (4000mah)  You can fit 2 of those in the tool tray and with a small piece of velcro, foam and a zip tie, its not going nowhere.  I will be getting my shee out possibly this weekend to get it ready for a ride next weekend and if i do and remember, i can take a picture if desired.

I like the battery, because then if the quad dies, you still can have the lights for awhile to either see whats going on, or signal for help.  Or if you need it to see to fix something on a buddies quad or for loading, etc, you dont have to let it sit there idling.

I would highly recommend going for the $60 Trail Tech one, it works great, is adjustable and has a time delay off feature that is just, well, kinda cool. :)

Edited by 90Bansheedude

I plan on mounting up front somewhere is why I wanted it small, I only have one wire going to the rear for my tail light and it is inside the frame rail. Would like to keep the wiring to a minimum for a cleaner look.

You don't have to float the ground on the trail Tech one either. I talked to the tech guy just to make sure and did not float it on mine and it works wonderful actually. I would actually be very curious what he actually has inside of that box if it's just a standard $5 bridge rectifier or if there's a lot more. Does it come apart easy to take a peak?

Sent from my Samsung S3 on Tapatalk

Already confused, I have been thinking on doing the dc conversion (floating ground, battery, etc), I discarded the box from ebay because supposed will only allow low wattage use, but well seems that it works correctly

I'm still curious on what exactly it has inside of it if he gets to take it apart to find out and maybe it'll have some specs on the parts inside or we can look them up from part numbers or stress test it adding wattage until it blows if someone wants to find out for everybody else. Or did anybody actually asked the seller to see if he knows how many watts

Sent from my Samsung S3 on Tapatalk