Only starts on lubed starting fluid...

new2the'shees

if you got another set of carbs why dont just jet the fucking things and ride the bike while you figure out how you fucked the first set up

I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, not complaining because he helped fix the leaking bowl, just stating. I am waiting on the other set to ship to me to throw it on and run and in the meantime I have been running my thoughts through this forum. It seems as though everyone is so fast to jump on compression and leakdown, that when you actually pass the tests, there are no other thoughts or contributions...like those tests are a cop out of some sort. 

I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, not complaining because he helped fix the leaking bowl, just stating. I am waiting on the other set to ship to me to throw it on and run and in the meantime I have been running my thoughts through this forum. It seems as though everyone is so fast to jump on compression and leakdown, that when you actually pass the tests, there are no other thoughts or contributions...like those tests are a cop out of some sort.

There the first things to test. A bike with no Comp won't start easily. A bike with an air leak won't start easily. They may start. But there's still an issue. Do the simple shit first. Its like if your car doesn't start. You don't pull the heads, you check the battery.
  • Like 2

There the first things to test. A bike with no Comp won't start easily. A bike with an air leak won't start easily. They may start. But there's still an issue. Do the simple shit first. Its like if your car doesn't start. You don't pull the heads, you check the battery.

I greatly appreciate your response. Thank you for being polite in explaining as well.  If there was an airleak, it generally would be from cylinder to reed, reed to boot, or boot to carb correct? Or worst and most unusually, a crank seal correct? It almost seems as though the car metaphor would point to the carbs as the battery and the airleak as pulling the heads...Not being disrespectful at all sheerider11 just wondering the Banshee thought process. I believe that the choke circuit would be the battery per say to check first in this case as it is most likely the root cause of the issue.

I greatly appreciate your response. Thank you for being polite in explaining as well. If there was an airleak, it generally would be from cylinder to reed, reed to boot, or boot to carb correct? Or worst and most unusually, a crank seal correct? It almost seems as though the car metaphor would point to the carbs as the battery and the airleak as pulling the heads...Not being disrespectful at all sheerider11 just wondering the Banshee thought process. I believe that the choke circuit would be the battery per say to check first in this case as it is most likely the root cause of the issue.

Woah don't over complicate it.

All I'm saying is thes test are the basics. That's all.

A leak is a leak.

If it passes a leak down then you can go to carbs.

Like said a leak will never be fixed by jetting it away. That's why if you have a fuel issue that's a basic safe test.

Then you can establish a jetting issue.

If the bike is hard to start, low compression can be the cause. Maybe you'll get it spinning fast enough to start it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, not complaining because he helped fix the leaking bowl, just stating. I am waiting on the other set to ship to me to throw it on and run and in the meantime I have been running my thoughts through this forum. It seems as though everyone is so fast to jump on compression and leakdown, that when you actually pass the tests, there are no other thoughts or contributions...like those tests are a cop out of some sort. 

They have been switched though. 2 right bowls have been swapped in. TORS Deleted, took forever to start or only on starting fluid. Left cyl ran lean, I'm thinking it has to do with 2 right bowls on the carbs. For anyone making fun of starter jets, that is the reason the bowls are choke side and non choke side specific...There is a jet that resides in the choke side bowl that is part of the choke circuit...

So let me get this straight you have 2 right bowls, " I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, "so how is this statement even plausible? Did I miss something? The guy was just trying to help and from what I've read he was helping you with jetting/fuel leak and not looking for a wrong float bowl...And you throw him under the bus like it's his fault, SMH.  They're easy to tell which one is which but you really have to be paying attention. With that being said make sure your slides are in the right way too and do not forget choke tube when all is said and done!!. I can tell you right now you get that left side bowl it's going to fix the majority, if not all your issue... 

...And do all of this...

Ok new2, the carb bowls are specific on stock banshee carbs. They cannot be switched.

Are you running tors?

Step 1. Clean carbs with carb cleaner and compressed air

Step 2. Set needls at middle clip on both slides.

Step 3. Install clean pilot and main jets in both carbs.

Step 4. Put carbs together and install on bike.

Step 5. Connect choke tube

Step 6. Sync carbs

And FFS NO STARTING FLUID!!

• Like 1

So let me get this straight you have 2 right bowls, " I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, "so how is this statement even plausible? Did I miss something? The guy was just trying to help and from what I've read he was helping you with jetting/fuel leak and not looking for a wrong float bowl...And you throw him under the bus like it's his fault, SMH. They're easy to tell which one is which but you really have to be paying attention. With that being said make sure your slides are in the right way too and do not forget choke tube when all is said and done!!. I can tell you right now you get that left side bowl it's going to fix the majority, if not all your issue...

...And do all of this...

This! Jake isn't an idot...and since when is starting fluid "lubed"?
  • Like 1

I'm just trying to be the most educated Yamaha Banshee mechanic I can before just throwing money at the machine.

since now, get with the times Bennet new generation of most educated Yamaha Banshee mechanics coming up through the ranks, fuck leakdowns bruh, lubing starter fluid is the new new way to get shit running

• Like 1

I never threw anyone under the bus, I said I was helped. Who is starting stuff over this lol. The drain screw was stripped in my old bowl so we swapped another spare he had and it was obviously the wrong one, no blame no shame guys. Since they made starting fluid with top end lubricant? I only used it twice to experiment. Other avenue is to start all over.

So let me get this straight you have 2 right bowls, " I actually had a member of this forum stop by to help out with the carbs originally which resulted in the swapped bowl, "so how is this statement even plausible? Did I miss something? The guy was just trying to help and from what I've read he was helping you with jetting/fuel leak and not looking for a wrong float bowl...And you throw him under the bus like it's his fault, SMH.  They're easy to tell which one is which but you really have to be paying attention. With that being said make sure your slides are in the right way too and do not forget choke tube when all is said and done!!. I can tell you right now you get that left side bowl it's going to fix the majority, if not all your issue... 

...And do all of this...

Nobody was disrespected I even said I was grateful for him helping me out, but it still resulted in wrong bowl. My drain screw was stripped on my old bowl and we swapped a spare he had which apparently was wrong. He's a great dude. This choke is hopefully the issue. People hating on me for no reason. I never said anything negative or name blamed...

since now, get with the times Bennet new generation of most educated Yamaha Banshee mechanics coming up through the ranks, fuck leakdowns bruh, lubing starter fluid is the new new way to get shit running

Leakdowns are wasteful when you resurface and torque everything to spec as shown in my leakdown and comp test. I measure twice cut once and wasted my time with leakdown.