another odd issue

Power_Man

If I'm accelerating it seems OK. Once it reaches the point where it is no longer accelerating and the RPM matches the throttle position it starts to sound like it's missing or sputtering. If i increase throttle more and it starts accelerating again it goes away until RPM matches throttle position again, it once again acts up.

Is this a Spark issue?

Carb sync?

Jetting?

i have a sync tool in route, but if it something else, i want to start fixing the issue right away.

4 mil Long rod Serval

35 PWK 165Main/50Pilot

• Like 1

well to go through the basics...

Have  you done a leak down?  Yes sir. held 6psi for 15min

New plugs? gaped to spec? New plugs, pretty sure gaped to 32

Clean ground contact? no, where are all grounds?

Ohm Spark plug boots to ensure their at 5K? don't know how to do that.

ohmed Stator? don't know how to do that either.

You mentioned their synced so wont ask that. no, carbs are not synced yet, I'm waiting for the tool to arrive.

Good clean fuel (not old)  proper mix ratio....  fuel month old and 32:1 Amsoil

whats your needle? have you tried playing with the needle height? its in the middle with a CEL needle. no i have not adjusted it, as i don't know which way to to or what does what.

i replied in the quote above. answers are underlined bold.

for the stuff that i don't know, i will read my Haynes manual when i get home.

Gap plugs to .020 with proper feeler guage, also pick up gap at .018-.020 with feeler guage. Take multi meter turn dial to horseshoe symbol go plug boot to plug boot you should get nothing higher than 7.5kohm. If you get an OL reading unscrew plug boots off wire and go wire to wire looking for same reading. Check continuity between motor and frame, make sure where coil mounts to frame is clean as well as the poles of the coil where bolts go through from what you explaining it sounds like a coil or stator issue

Gap plugs to .020 with proper feeler guage, also pick up gap at .018-.020 with feeler guage. Take multi meter turn dial to horseshoe symbol go plug boot to plug boot you should get nothing higher than 7.5kohm. If you get an OL reading unscrew plug boots off wire and go wire to wire looking for same reading. Check continuity between motor and frame, make sure where coil mounts to frame is clean as well as the poles of the coil where bolts go through from what you explaining it sounds like a coil or stator issue

Okay

Plugs re-gapped

Cut wires back 1/4" just to make em nice.

Coil checked out.

d8e6e99a500b9477aab09b26f37d48c8.jpg

Here is what I found on flywheel.

Can I just sand it down clean and will it possibly be my issue?

67e748d130ffcb7a07fb75ad85dff453.jpgc83c341901532344fcf8896ef6cc155d.jpg9ad9f8a9a8341b29a40f8b41a99e3de3.jpg

Edited by Power_Man

I cant remember where all the grounds are at OEM location.. I highly doubt thats the issue but its a basic thing to check quickly needless to say.

if I remember right the ground is located on the subframe with the rectifier. a quick look will show if its "splintered" or what not.

Plug boots can cause a decent amount of trouble.... to ohm test the boots unscrew them from the coil wire, use a Ohm tester and insert the + on one end and the - in the other (doesnt matter which goes where) you want the plug boots to ohm under 5 depending on what setting you have the tester on.

For the stator, it can be a bit tricky to test, I had one that ohmed out good but went crappy when under load / steady throttle a cyl would cut out.

regardless good to check fff

green and red wires 13.7-20.5 ohms

pickup coil

white/green-white/red

94-140 ohms

Fuel sounds alright.. getting old but should be ok.

lowering the clip on the needle will richen the circuit and putting the clip higher on the needle will lower it.... its ALWAYS best to go richer and see if the issue worsens or gets better....

I also forgot to mention to check your pick up gap to ensure its within spec.

also make sure if you have a timing plate that its set correctly and tight.

So pull the fly wheel off then probe all wires and should be in those specs?

You say under 5. Other guy says under 7.5? Lol

I'm tinkering away, but hot has hell out here in Ontario today.

Clean that rust off of the nubs on the flywheel, use sandpaper, or a wire brush/wheel. Don't get crazy, but clean that up, and check the pickup coil also, because judging from the looks of the flywheel, you've had a lot of water in there.

Yeah I don't know when I would of got water in it.

The rubber gasket is still in place.

I'll sand it down nicely and pull flywheel and have a look at the pickup as well.

no real need to remove the flywheel, just a quick rub with some light grit sand paper will take any build up off it if there's any.

for checking stator the plug connection should be ontop of the cases? you can just use the prongs in the plug with the tester...

As for the plug caps.... what you checked was the coil and resistance between the whole circuit. ive always checked the plug caps individually...

the individual caps should ohm at or under 5. the whole coil circuit would be what sleeper told ya.

also that rust build up on the flywheel could be a very solid solution to your issue... id clean up the flywheel and go test her out and go from there

Your telling me about the heat!!! I went out on the boat a couple times but you cook in a matter of seconds.

Okay, I got the 6.0 with out the caps. So that wild be a 7.0 total. Is that still with in spec? Or maybe coil dying?

I sanded them down.

It seemed to help, but still didn't go away completely.

I'm still waiting on my sync tool to rule that out.

I'll pull cover off again and clean it all real good.

And check prongs in plug. Should be able to get at it tomorrow.

Heat wave should break tomorrow, so won't sweat bag off working on it.

Thanks again for all help guys.

are you reading the posts as to what is going on, or just waiting for some magical solution

hope the solution comes tonight

Mine does the same thing when your putt putting threw town it runs like shit but when Ya get on it it does fine let me know if ya figure out what it is

i got  a new bike that i took the stator, pick-up and flywheel off of, ill install them tonight and see if it helps. if not ill pull the coil and wires and transfer them.

Is it possible that all of this is caused by to fat of a pilot jet?

over the weekend i was doing plug chops up top, and long story short when my main was two fat it was missing on the top end. dropped a bunch of sizes on the jets and it went away up top. went down one size on the pilot and it got a bit better throughout the bottom and mid range.

might drop the needle one notch and see if it gets better?