Major Upgrade #2 - Suspension, etc

Hi. I will post some pics of my bike tomorrow cause it's 4am at the moment.

It's time for my second major upgrade to my Banshee. My ideas are as follow:

• TORS replacement kit cause I meant to last time and it's not a difficult upgrade. Why not.
  • Aftermarket reeds - was looking at one of the vForce reeds - money is no object so what do you recommend?
  • Wide rear axle - have wanted this from day one.
  • GPS/speedo (perhaps) - I'm sorta split on this one, cause I like exploring without a clue, but it'd be so helpful. Ideas? Worth it?
  • New suspension (see below).

I mostly ride on trails (sand, gravel, tree roots, some rocks), gravel roads, and boggy soft beaches. The bike feels a bit unstable and tall at the front, and the stock suspension isn't really adequate for going fast over those trails. What do you recommend? I'm looking for a starting point here cause I have literally no clue. Then again, that's how I started with upgrade #1 before I asked here :)

My budget for the suspension is about $1000, but if that's really not enough for a quality set up I can save and buy something more expensive. I want to get this right the first time around. Keep in mind I'm a recreational rider so I don't need perfection here, I just want a good ol' noticeable difference.

From some preliminary Googling, it looks like I'll need a-frames and some other stuff. Please advise. I promise I will become more educated before I go ahead with the upgrade, this is just how I work. Trust me (:

If it helps, I have a 2013 Banshee with the following upgrades installed by myself: FMF fatty pipes, Powercore 2 silencers, 320 mains, 27.5 pilots, Toomey 2 into 1 air filter, +4 adjustable timing plate, Razr Ballance rears, Razr XC fronts, etc.

Thanks for the help (:

Anything would be a huge improvement over stock suspension, except the cheap eBay shocks. I have alba +2+1 aarms (280$ shipped I believe) and had a works dual rate front shocks and that was a night and day difference over stock. Works shocks can be had for about $250. Thatll probably be the cheapest way to go but it will be a huge improvement

• Like 1

^ I agree with all of that.

You can have an awesome suspension setup for $1k, but my advice is always to spend as much as you can come to terms with on suspension.  For the recreational rider, $1k is sufficient.

As stated above, anything aftermarket is a huge improvement over stock.  Works are good shocks, but they're not the best.  I'd search around for some Elka or Fox shocks.  Fireball arms are good and I love my LSR arms, but LSR (or just about any a-arms) is gonna blow your budget if you buy new.  I'd go with used arms and find some shocks that are setup pretty close to them. 

If you wanna buy new and stay close to that budget, I'd go with some Alba arms and some Fox Floats or Elka stage 1s.

Anything would be a huge improvement over stock suspension, except the cheap eBay shocks. I have alba +2+1 aarms (280$ shipped I believe) and had a works dual rate front shocks and that was a night and day difference over stock. Works shocks can be had for about $250. Thatll probably be the cheapest way to go but it will be a huge improvement

That sounds brilliant. I had expected a good setup to be like $3000, based on preliminary Googling. Seems they were talking about pro MX setups.

^ I agree with all of that.

You can have an awesome suspension setup for $1k, but my advice is always to spend as much as you can come to terms with on suspension.  For the recreational rider, $1k is sufficient.

As stated above, anything aftermarket is a huge improvement over stock.  Works are good shocks, but they're not the best.  I'd search around for some Elka or Fox shocks.  Fireball arms are good and I love my LSR arms, but LSR (or just about any a-arms) is gonna blow your budget if you buy new.  I'd go with used arms and find some shocks that are setup pretty close to them. 

If you wanna buy new and stay close to that budget, I'd go with some Alba arms and some Fox Floats or Elka stage 1s.

I like the reviews of the Elka ones. Is this going to be a substantial difference on trails? Money isn't so much of an object, but I don't want to waste it.

I'm going a bit out there by using a Banshee for tight trails, but it's where I like to ride, I keep it in the powerband constantly, and would like to have a smooth ride to go with it.

what happened to your unlimited budget

That was for reeds, not suspension!

Last upgrade I had an unlimited budget because I was in the money at that point. I have just come back from Europe $5000 poorer.

I can save and buy something more expensive. I want to get this right the first time around.

This is the preferred route.

Seems they were talking about pro MX setups.

The difference in an MX and XC is almost entirely about spring and valving until it gets to you for the setup.  On the topic of the Banshee, you really only have the Alba arms that have the gullwing design to them that I know of.  Beyond that, you're just going to have to pick a brand to go with.  LSR, Laeger, Roll Design, Fireball...

Is this going to be a substantial difference on trails? Money isn't so much of an object, but I don't want to waste it.

It is enough of a difference that people who rarely actually race drop thousands on suspension.  I don't know of anyone who has been on aftermarket suspension and remained content with the stock setup.

Buy used.  If you don't like it, sell it and cover all of your money (give or take).

• Like 1