Plastic skid plate?

muggzy

Considering a TM Designworks full frame plastic skid plate.  Just did a search on "plastic skid plate" and surprisingly came up with nothing usable.  Most of my riding is in really rocky woods and I beat the hell out of the 3/16" alum plate that I have.  It's so banged in that I'm not sure it will go back on without some serious reforming.  Clearly, I've got to replace it so does anyone have any feedback on plastic skid plates even other mfrs?

• 3 weeks later...

I know on sxs, people run plastic skid plates (UHMW) and they work great. Aluminum ones suck for trees and rocks. Seems like they want to get hung up on things.

Hey Zilla, What's sxs?

I'm making my own skid plates. Wasn't happy with the fit our mounting design on the one I bought so I sent it back. Just got the UHMW sheet and probably gonna do a fab thread on the build. Should be interesting

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Side by side

Rzr.

Duh, of course.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by muggzy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A guy could goto a hardware store and buy a sheet of UHMW plastic and make your own skid for way cheaper than the TM design works ones. I just took some cardboard, blocked up some 4x4 blocks to hold it against the bottom of frame and traced out a template and then cut it out, set it onto the UHMW sheet and then you've got w skid plate. I made mounts out of 3/8" aluminum plate and countersunk the underside of the skid so the bolt heads would not hang up on things

A guy could goto a hardware store and buy a sheet of UHMW plastic and make your own skid for way cheaper than the TM design works ones. I just took some cardboard, blocked up some 4x4 blocks to hold it against the bottom of frame and traced out a template and then cut it out, set it onto the UHMW sheet and then you've got w skid plate. I made mounts out of 3/8" aluminum plate and countersunk the underside of the skid so the bolt heads would not hang up on things

3 post up the guy showed how he made one already

Im running a GYTR  UHMW skid on my yfz450r and it has held up awesome.  Way better than any aluminum skid ive had.  so far i have destroyed 1 aluminum A-arm skid and working on destroying my second aluminum swing arm skid and the plastic chassis skid is none the worse for wear

Im running a GYTR UHMW skid on my yfz450r and it has held up awesome. Way better than any aluminum skid ive had. so far i have destroyed 1 aluminum A-arm skid and working on destroying my second aluminum swing arm skid and the plastic chassis skid is none the worse for wear

gytr shit is pricey, but like you said, they're the best skid plates out there imo.

gytr shit is pricey, but like you said, they're the best skid plates out there imo.

Only reason i bought the gytr is because it was available locally and i needed it that day or i wasnt going riding.  My buddy called and said he was heading out to an area we ride that is rocky as fuck.  I had beat up a couple bikes bad there before and had no intentions of riding the new bike there without some sort of belly skid.  I couldnt even tell you what it cost now but i can remove it and the bottom of the bike looks like new.  It did mount up cleanly and neatly as well. In my book thatt is a win win.  I have no doubt there are aftermarket variants that are just as good but cheaper.