should I replace rear shock with the fronts?

If they are stock, a 12 year old would find the limits of that suspension.

Not if that 12 year old rides 5 times over 3 years.  It's another version of what I described above: I can't ride to the limits of my Elka 3s, but I'd most likely be faster on a set of Elka 5s or Evols.

OP, I jsut looked and it said you ride 3-4 times a month and then that you've ridden 5 times in 3 years.  That is a substantial difference in capability.  If you ride 3-4 times a month, you may want a set of Evols or Axis.  If you don't ride any more than twice a year, used Works would be more than enough.

Not if that 12 year old rides 5 times over 3 years. It's another version of what I described above: I can't ride to the limits of my Elka 3s, but I'd most likely be faster on a set of Elka 5s or Evols.

OP, I jsut looked and it said you ride 3-4 times a month and then that you've ridden 5 times in 3 years. That is a substantial difference in capability. If you ride 3-4 times a month, you may want a set of Evols or Axis. If you don't ride any more than twice a year, used Works would be more than enough.

Still worth a pair of works to me, rather than not enjoy the times I did get out to ride. If he's here asking questions about shocks, it's clear he's unhappy with his current setup.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should upgrade, but dropping $2500 on suspension isn't a wise investment if you aren't riding enough to stay familiar with your machine.  Works or those stage 3s would be more than enough in that case.

My bad I meant to say I would like to ride 3-4 times a month. I've seen a set of used works but they are 275 and set up for 175-225 lb. By time I get them and I would put money all used shocks will need rebuilt (it seems all my buddies that bought used shocks were all garbage), then by time.they are re-sprung and properly set up I will have 500 in them.if.not more. And they aren't new. I see no real good way around not getting.the elkas. I'll just have to find more time.to ride. My set up now is definately hit. Srock.shit on +2 arms. I ride.in Wellsville ohio and it is a rutted out, washed out, rocky, boulder filled disaster. My stock shit throws me all over the place. I mean it's rideable but I don't think I should be having to fight my ride.

You will regret spending more than 20 dollars for those shocks.

From a guy that has raced motocross for 20 years, values suspension over all other mods and rallies the shit out of a Banshee in the dunes:   I disagree about the  YZF shocks being garbage (I run the 2014's).  Couple qualifications: Front joints can't bind so either use use LT arms (albas work well) or shorten shock then revalve to match weight/riding.  The $300 shocks and a $130 revalve then I believe these shocks perform as well or better than the Elka stage 3.  Stock rear shock is an older style Ohlins so revalve and spring then there are no disappointments.    The multi-year elka blowout sale currently at $1,000 for 3 is a great no fuss option as well, assuming you buy direct or your distributor purchases direct and tailors for you (I'm Leary that some large well-known companies don't).

My answer: spend $1,000 on either rebuilding what you have access to or the Elkas.  

Float Evol's or equivalent priced is overkill for the weekend warrior.  Might as well start your campfire with $100 bills.

Let the bashing begin!!!

Edited by WALZ

Edit: $500 minimum and $1,000 or less.  Please do yourself and chassis a favor by not running stock fronts on plus 2's at 330#.

Myabe i should have specified, carb model resi yfz front shocks are garbage compared to the elkas i run now. That being said, not everyone wants to run a long travel motocross setup and fuck cutting shocks to make them work. I will buy ones that already fit 50 times before i try to modify shit that doesnt belong on my bike.