Polishing aluminum rims to shine

I know a lot of guys use a desktop bench grinder with a polishing/buffing wheel on it for certain things but that seems like it would be near impossible for doing rims with tires on them.  

What kind of powered hand tool would you use to run the polishing wheel to do rims? 

Also any tips on polishing rims to get them to a nice shine and keep it would be appreciated.  

Corded high speed drill gets in pretty well. Use cones instead of wheels to get in tight. Start with a medium to firm wheel to start with aggressive compound and work up to softer compounds and wheels. Finish it with Master Formula Metal Gloss polish and sealer. It will look chrome!

Or you can use some foam mothers wheel and whatever compound for meh, results.

I agree with tricked^^ I did a set of itp rims a few monthes back and they come out great with a drill. Definetely use a cone, I think the wheel is more aggressive and doesn't take as long but usually on a wheel there is a screw holding it on the bottom together. If that screw hits the aluminum while spinning it will give your wheels a nasty scratch.

VRX is on point with the screw on the ends of some polishing heads so buy wisely. The Mother's Cone is Ok..... But IMO you can buy actual wedges, cones, mini wheels that are the same make up as actual Buff Wheels to get the same results as a stand up buffer would give ya.

Here's a write up I did a long time ago. You can just sub wheels with different shapes. Same principle applies. Oh, if you need to purchase some polishing stuff, run up to a Performance Tool on 59 & Telegraph.

Fronts rims you can get away with just using a wheel carefully because you can angle the drill more. On rear rims the dish is too deep and you will scratch it up from the chuck spinning on the drill. So use a cone definetely back there! A good metal polish I use after, adams polishes 2 step metal polish is what I use! Best stuff out there, little pricey but worth it in my opinion.