My First Banshee

Hey guys what's up?

Well it all started about two years ago. My buddy picked up his first 2006 banshee. Him and another friend went to the dunes where he blew the banshee up. Supposedly everything was fresh in the engine before he bought it. Turns out it wasn't. A couple weeks later both my friends were hanging out so I grabbed a six pack and a bottle of fireball and headed over to join em. Well one thing lead to another and we got drunk and had a wild hair to take the banshee down to the frame so it can be powder coated. 40 mins later the frame was all that was left on the bike jack. The bike was then put in tubs and stored in an attic and then a storage unit for two years.

Just a few days ago my buddy asked if I wanted the bike cause he needed the money for a new hobby. I pretty much stole it. In pieces, the banshee took an entire long bed pick up and the back seat of a crew cab. I was really nervous then. Didn't realize what I was getting in to. I got all the pieces out and put the frame on my motorcycle lift. Kicked on the tunes in the garage and started getting it together. I'm missing a couple bolts and nuts but nothing too bad.

Now the motor is still shot. It's done. Hahaha.

I wouldn't say I'm new to riding but I wouldn't say I'm a pro either.. I want fast. Shee will more than likely be primarily dune. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on swing arms and shocks. Everything is stock and decent shape. I want a fast reliable motor. I keep hearing the 4 mil and cheetah thrown around. Once I build this motor I don't wanna have to worry about it for a while.

Opinions or suggestions?

Stock things I should keep an eye out for..?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you, The response people have told me and most likely what I will be doing is litterally putting the engine in a box , shipping it to one of the site sponsors and have your credit card ready - I have looked into this option countless of times and spent hours online looking and pricing parts. 

There are several ebay kits which offer the full rebuild whether it be back to stock or more power with a cheetah serval, cub, etc.

Regardless of how you go, It all counts on who assembles the motor for you. I would not rebuild it yourself. I have talked myself out of rebuilding it myself several times. 

I will be going with a 4 mill cheetah serval setup, Long rod crankshaft trued + welded with max load CZ bearings , billet clutch with new clutch kit, serval cheetah cylinders, 35mm carbs, billet intake, v4 reeds, wiesco pistons 68mm, billet water impeller and billet impeller drive gear from mullen, K+N pod filters with outerwear's, and a couple other things I'm missing.

First off START WITH A CLYMERS MANUAL that was my first mistake.

What size are your cylinders at now??

You will get a lot of support from this site, but be warned these guys are brutal to noobs like you and me. They will be honest  but upfront - so prepare for the mixed criticism, whatever you do  good luck my friend. 

Welcome to HQ,

Sounds like you have a great starting point. You said you bought the bike at a great price. Now you can invest in the motor / suspension and still be in great shape. 

Sort the parts out and clean them. Make a decision on color theme and send them off for powder coating (including small parts). Then get the bike assembled and rolling. That way you not scattered about. As for the motor ; hopefully you have stock bore cylinders or close to that.  Stock cylinder builds work well if your on a budget. Personally I would build it yourself. These motors are very easy to work on and you need to learn how to maintain said build. Take the time to start a build thread and members will help you along the way. 

As for the member community here. Most are great guys and more then willing to help. Just don't post multiple posts about the same shit. Try not to ask stupid question :) and use the search features to find answers. 

One final note. Be prepared to empty out your wallet. This is going to cost you a few dollars. There's no way around it.

Once again welcome  :)

Troy

Thanks guys

I got to thinking.. What if the engine was a fresh build like we thought? I was under the impression it was stock and they ran this piss out of it after it blew up. Well I cleaned up the old pistons and ran some numbers. My pistons are sitting at 64.25mm. So it has been touched and opened up before. Whatever they were shooting for wasnt right.. Obviously..

Any ideas what they were after? Most common 64.25mm builds..?

I have a friend that races atvs.. His sponsor is going to build my motor. I plan on going to talk to them tomorrow evening and drop the engine off.

I still have to pick up the manual and paddle tires from the guy. I have already put damn near everything back on the bike except the stuff to pull the engine. The frame looked good. Nothing was stripped or broke. I wanted to powdercoat the frame but I was too excited to get it together.

I can take pics with my phone but I gotta find a way to resize them. The tops of the cylinders are pitted and scratched up not to mention how black they are. My buddy said it lost compression. When they opened it up they was expecting new parts and it wasn't even close. Then the rods in the crank assembly just wiggle like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I think it was just abused or a poor build.