low compression

chinese bore gauges will likely get the job done but have a look through ebay first. many times you can find great deals on used mitutoyo stuff. sure it may have been dropped a time or two but its probly still as accurate as the chinese stuff :lol: . chinese stuff should be your last resort if all else fails and your broke

This^

My father is a machinist and gets all his tools from travers. It's not cheap at all.

I think a lot here might be pretty depressed to see how many big names rebadge China tools.  Mitutoyo, Fowler, Starrett, and even bigger specialty tool names.  Sad but true....

BTW, when I recommend a China bore gauge, it is not that I intend it to be used as an accurate tool.  engine bore mic'ing 101 is about transferring any reading to the micrometer so only one tool is doing the reading.  What I mean here is get whatever value you find on the bore gauge, then transfer that to the mic.  

If we needed a real value for the bores, not just a reference, there would be no way I would EVER accept a replaceable anvil device for this in our quality system.  What I like about these little gauges is I can easily determine out of round and taper to qualify if a bore is worth measuring.  

In a quality system, it is more about tracability to a certified standard.  If we are measuring a feature of 1.0001, we would qualify a tool with a certified standard of 1.0000.  

nobody was taking poke at the chinese bore gauge recomendation, atleast i wasnt. i was merely saying to look through ebay first. often times youll find someone unloading a garage full of good qaulity tools at great prices. ive seen first hand the chinese bore gauges, mics and bearing splitters. the qaulity is very very poor. the mitutoyo bore gauge is not a rebadged shars (chinese), i can asure you of that. all the mitutoyo stuff ive seen is japan but they may have a few items made in china, its hard to say. if you cant locate any good deals on the higher qaulity tools then go for the chinese piece. it will get the job done but dont expect to ever be able to sell it down the road, they arent hardly worth the plastic case theyre shipped in

fowler isnt terribly expensive and certainly better than shars but still its near the bottom of the barell. if your going super cheap i would probly go with fowler. the dial indicator portion of the bore gauge on the shars brand from ebay doesnt even return to 0 correctly most the time. youll take a reading and the needle sticks