Electrical System 1994

kaylin

Just rebuilt a $650.00 basket case banshee. $6500.00 in now . broke . key switch or kill switch willnot stop spark going to plug's when kicked . I USED "clymer"book to rewire completely . page 377. I left out throttle switch , carb switches & tor's wiring. What did I miss ? or what can i do ? I did all the work myself & I'm no mechanic or electrican . Sound's like a stupid question . Any help greatly appreciated . LOVE THOSE BANSHEE'S .

I had the same problem with mine. My key switch would not kill the bike. The kill switch would work, but not the key switch. Finally my ignition module died. Installed new Dyna FS ignition, and now all switches work again. If you can find another ignition module that works to use as a test, I would try that first.

Good Luck

Do you have a good ground? I'd start there, the black wire where the voltage regulator mounts is the frame ground, the other end of the wire is grounded to the back of the stator plate.

The handlebar kill switch works by grounding the black wire with a white stripe. So if the switch is "on", the black/white wire isn't grounded, when the switch is "off" the black/white wire is grounded and kills the motor.

The key switch works by opening the circuit between the black wire and the black wire with a red stripe. So if the switch is "on", the black/red wire is grounded, when the switch is "off", the black/red wire is not grounded and it kills the motor.

Both of these circuits are controlled internally by the CDI, but if the ground is loose (or a wire is cut or a connector is loose) it COULD still run and not shut off with either switch...

the cdi's sumtimes will allow 1 spark while kickin with the switches off... it will not start but it will allow it 2 discharge 1 time... have seen this on a few different shees... also when tryin 2 start it and u check these things it can make it confusing... so just because it sparks while kickin dont mean it will start... L8r d34