4 mm cylinders

Denny2424

Yes, it will run but I would question why you would want to do that. 

Basically if the cylinders were ported right, they will have the port floors lowered 2mm so you will not have a nice transition at BDC.  Not the end of the world though. 

The transfer duration will actually be pretty mild for a stock stroke so no worry there. 

The long rod has only a small effect on port timing.  Remember that the longer rod is offset by the change in wrist pin location on the 795 series piston so the BDC and TDC heights are the same.  The rod angle changes so that does affect the porting a small amount. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Yes, it will run but I would question why you would want to do that. 

Basically if the cylinders were ported right, they will have the port floors lowered 2mm so you will not have a nice transition at BDC.  Not the end of the world though. 

The transfer duration will actually be pretty mild for a stock stroke so no worry there. 

The long rod has only a small effect on port timing.  Remember that the longer rod is offset by the change in wrist pin location on the 795 series piston so the BDC and TDC heights are the same.  The rod angle changes so that does affect the porting a small amount. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering

what is the height difference from a long to a short rod? 

If you are referring to height as in BTC, TDC, there is no practical difference BUT the rod angle changes the game slightly.  The higher the rod angle in degrees of rotation, the higher the delta angle.

Glanced at the calcs and about .400*.  I don't think I would get my panties in  bunch about it.

I think we should clarify a couple things.  There is practically no timing differences between a LR and SR configuration!  Way back in the day, the LR setup was actually a way to incorporate the Blaster pistons in a Banshee for a bigbore setup.  They are nearly 5mm different in wrist pin location.  

So.....  You have a 115mm rod with a 795 series piston which has the wrist pin relocated up 5mm to offset that.  So, why the hell would I do that???  The laws of physics says that force applied in a line is directly applied but if we are not in a line, forces apply in separate vectors.  What does this have to do with cranks?  The rod angle!  A perfect engine would NOT have any rod angle, the force applied to the piston from combustion would always push in a nice straight line but that does not happen.  

The LR helps to reduce this angle thus applying more force to the crank and less to the side of the piston and cylinder wall and also reduces max angle which is a function of rod speed and max rpm potential.  

So....  I would not base much of this build on selecting the short or long rod setup but I feel the LR setup is a better choice though not a radical difference.  Lets just not get too hung up on LR and SR.  This has NOTHING to do with the stroke of the engine at all!

• Like 1

dwell, acceleration and a few other things will be slightly different between the two rods but when comparing 110 vs 115 the differences would be pretty negligable. personally i dont see any reason to use the shorter rod if given the choice. the performance difference probly wouldnt even be noticable but youll have a bit less angle with the longer rod. over time im sure there would be a hair less fatigue on the piston, bearings, cylinders walls etc. hard to say if it would amount to much but it certainly wouldnt hurt