Alba Rebuildable Steering Stabilizer?

muggzy

I've got an Alba Steering Stabilizer (rebuildable) w/6 dampener settings.  I've been using it for 2-3 years now and its been OK.  My reason for getting it was that I was tired of having my thumbs jammed when I clipped a rock (there's a lot of them on my trails).  It's served it's purpose since I've installed it, I haven't jammed my thumb even once.  Having said that, here's the problem;

the 1st 4 settings on the stabilizer do absolutely nothing, setting 5 is barely noticable (this is where I keep it) and setting 6 it sooo tight it's dangerous to ride.  

I'm in the middle of a rebuild - frame up, powder coating etc.  I'm looking to know if anyone has rebuilt this stabilizer and had better performance/range of adjustability or simply had better results from day 1?  I'd like to know before I waste time and a few bucks rebuilding this one or if I should just break down and buy another brand?

I wouldn't call it a "sweet spot". That would be somewhere between the 5th and 6th settings (remember 1-4 do nothing). And it's been this way since I got it. My fault for not returning it at the time. So now the question is are they (alba's) all this way? Or is it just mine?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Maybe another way to describe this problem is this - if the resistance I got at setting 5 happened at setting 2 and the adjustment from there to setting 6 (as it is now) was somewhat linear, I'd be very happy with it. Unfortunately, setting 5 is a bit too light and 6 is so strong that about all 6 might be good for is drag.

So, does anyone have experience with the 6 setting, rebuildable Alba Steering Stabilizer?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Edited by muggzy

RRL touched on a good point. A good steering stabilizer should work with out putting much if any noticeable resistance on the bars. It should work correctly just before the bars become any tighter feeling. If your Alba won't make any difference at all till almost maxed, I'd send it to them to rebuild to see if they find something weird. If it comes back and feels the same, then you'll know that it's junk and you need to spend more dinero on something that will actually meet your expectations.

My peps is one of the basic stick adjustable units and it works great on 2-3 for TT stuff and 3-4 for trails.

A good to spend more dinero on something that will actually meet your expectations.

My peps is one of the basic stick adjustable units and it works great on 2-3 for TT stuff and 3-4 for trails.

This is *exactly* what I want from a stabilizer. I was hooping someone had an Alba that could tell me mine sucked or they all suck before I called Alba. Guess I'll just call em and see what they say.

This is *exactly* what I want from a stabilizer. I was hooping someone had an Alba that could tell me mine sucked or they all suck before I called Alba. Guess I'll just call em and see what they say.

Give em a call. For forum members they have proven themselves to go above and beyond. Over night parts and free parts

• 2 months later...