Things For The Beginner...

Wheatchex

First off I am by no means an expert but since this topic has come up previously, here is my take on the basics of what a beginner needs:

1. The Quad, buy used or new both have their pro's and con's. Ask people what they ride and for their reccomendations. Ask the dealer. After you get it take the safety course which is usually free if you buy a new quad from the dealer.

2. A helmet. Buy the best you can afford. Nuf said.

3. Gloves.

4. Sturdy Boots. Ideally you would want true cycle boots, but for just starting off good stiff boots will work, but you will want to invest later into a good pair of riding boots.

5. Repair manual for the quad.

6. Basic tools, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. Add to your set as needed. Try not to skimp on tools as they will last a lifetime for good ones.

7. Gas can to haul extra fuel.

8. This is probably the most important and expensive. If you don't live near a riding area, you will need a vehicle(truck to haul your bike in the bed) or car/truck/van and trailer to get your bike to the riding area. Otherwise having a quad and no way to get it to the riding spot, makes the quad worthless.

9. Tiedowns to hold the bike on the transporting vehicle/trailer.

10. Insurance on the bike. Optional but strongly reccomended.

These are the basics.

Add the mods and clothes and other protective gear as you can afford them although I personally would reccomend the protective gear before the mods.

If any one has anything else to add please do, but remember this is for the complete newcomer to the sport.

Wheatchex

Proper knowledge and introduction to proper riding. With the machinery these days, it is imperative that people understand just what these machines are capable off. I have seen newcomers seriously F themselves up because they saw someone rail a 40' double, and they think, hey, I can do that. Well, it takes time. Practice makes perfect. Other than that, my man Wheaty has it covered pretty darned good.

Chest/back protector, and get the boots. Your ankles will thank you. ARC Corona's at rockymountainatv.com are only $79.00. Add a chest protector for $40-$50 and you are over the $100 mark for free shipping.

When you do your first newbie flip the quad manuever and land on your back and don't crack your spine, you will be glad you did. Trust me, I know.

Tom

Theeechozen:

While I appreciate your response, I don't feel that it's appropriate for newbies, or anyone for that matter, to mix drinking and riding. ATV's are dangerous enough without adding alcohol into the mix. By drinking and riding you are just creating more image problems than we are already have with the anti-atv groups. Ultimately you have to decide if the risks are worth it and then you need to take responsibility if you do decide to take those risks. Just remember that any ATV accident will be used against us by the anti-atv groups to help them reach their goal of a complete ban on atv's. My main goal with this thread was to create a resource for those who want to join the ranks of ATVer's with out the normal BS associated with some threads. I don't condone drinking, just drinking and riding.

Wheatchex

Not even funny. Wait for some drunk asshole to nearly run over your kid and you will know what I mean.

Chill....was just a joke, I got a chuckle out of it....may as well pack a few joints for the trip as well! :o:blink:<_<

But seriously,..we all know that it's not smart to drink & drive; nor drink & ride...you can't stop them all. I know for a fact, I was damn near killed by drunk driver my sophomore year of highschool...longstory that I don't care to tell...luckily I wore my seatbelt & am writing this today.

My $.02....Don't ride over your head....know your abilities & build yourself up slowly, take your time--your body & your banshee will thank you. ;)

1 important mod to go with a new banshee, Get rid of the crappy air filter or you will be replacing your topend after your first few rides after it falls off/ sucks in dirt etc...Insurance is expensive, something liek $800 a year for people udnder 25 here in CA. In other words, If I would have paid for insurance I would also be out $4000 in insurance money by this time, which is nearly enough to buy a new quad anyways :(

I was just playin chex ol' buddy, I know I was being a smartass but I figured everyone would know I was kiddin....my bad

next time I am posting on one of your threads I will begin post with

"Do not take theeechozen1 seriously, he is a smartass"

Ya I hear ya, I got clipped by a rail at Glamis 3 yrs ago on my 3-wheeler, the old fawker was plasterd as could be....I'll kill a couple brews and ride but I weigh 260 and 3 beers just wakes me up :blink:

This may have been mentioned, but I good quality set of tools. Sockets, ratchet, torque wrench, plyers, screwdrivers, ect. IN METRIC. I got my banshee, and 3 days later went and dropped $100 or so on a half ways decent tool kit that had both metric and SAE. I would recommend the best quality tools possible, money permitting of course.

**EDIT** Its #6 on Wheatchex's post. But let me add METRIC to it. :D