intermittent no spark problem

i bought a 92 banshee august of last year and since then i've only been able to ride it twice. when i originally bought it all that was done was fmf pipes and pod filters. on my first ride with it i toasted a rod bearing 2 hours in. When i tore into the engine i found out it was bone stock. Last winter i rebuilt it with a new vitos crank, vitos .20 pistons, vitos +4 timing key, any boyseen reeds. i got a basic jetting set up from just runing up and down the street. The first time i took it out it ran for around 2 hours while i was working on the jetting then all off the sudden it bogged once like it was running out of fuel then about 10 seconds later it died and would not start again. when i checked it out it had no spark. well i finally started working on it again and when i pulled it into the garage it still had no spark. i checked the stator, pickup, wiring to cdi, wiring from cdi to coil, wiring from cdi to kill switch, coil, new plugs, checked kill switch, tors is removed, and i have no key. after simply checking everything it fired up just fine. i drove it almost all the way down the road and it died. every time i tried to make it start it would fire once or twice then die. after i waited a while it fired back up and i made it half way back and it died again. this time i couldn't get it to start again. after bringing it back to my shop and checking everything again it fired back up no problem. this time i took my ohm meter with me and set off down the street. i made it half way when it died. i checked the resistance on everything other than the kill switch and it all checked out good. after that it fired back up. since then i haven't been able to make 3 or 4 trips down the road without any issue. i really have no idea where to go from here. anyone on here have any ideas?

You mention the key switch is removed. Make sure there is a good solid connection there between the red/black and black wires.

It's not likely that the kill switch is making connection and killing it, but unplug it just to make sure.

If you still have problems, I would try to borrow a CDI from a buddy. They can fail when hot, and work when they cool off.

i brought the ohm meeter with me one time and checked everything immediatly after it died, i'll try heating them and checking. the red/black wire is connected directly to the black wire. i tried unplugging the kill switch and the quad stopped having problems, but when i plugged it back in it still didn't have any problems so that one is still up in the air. i don't have a cdi to borrow, none of my friends have love for 2 strokes.

x3 on the cdi, if everything else checks out, harness, and every other variable, get an extra.  Worse case scenario is you end up with a spare which is never a bad thing.  Back about 3-4 years ago I somewhat similar problem. Bike would start right when we got to the desert, run awesome.. but when it got hot and i shut it off for any reason it usually would lose all spark as far as kicking went and have to be pulled to start.  Replaced it with a used oem one and never had a problem with it again.  They can act up sometimes.  Goodluck.

Edited by apeik

stator could be bad. CDI are not known to go bad, OEM coils tend to last longer than any after market coil so I lean towards something else, the engine on/off switch shouldn't matter cause it will still run if wires are cut, the key switch could be a possible problem but I doubt it.

PM sent.....

It had no spark when you pushed it into the garage after it had been sitting. You moved the wiring around while testing and it ran until the wires moved on a bump. You have a bad ground or intermittant open. Start off by buying a new harness from kompulsive concepts?. Fixes 90% of these problems and it is one of the cheapest parts to throw at the problem.