Engine Noise Is This Normal?

BansheeJerry

The engine in my shee has made this sound since I have had it. You can hear gears and things turning while at idle around the clutch cover. Is this normal? Its not extremely loud but I didnt think it was normal. I have never been around another shee or heard another one run to see if it makes the same noise as mine. So is it time to start wrenching or what?LOL

If you put your head near the cases you will definitely hear noises. When you have a problem in there you should hear a noise loud enough to let you know. I had a crank spread on me once and it was grinding on the cases...I knew something was wrong right away. You should be fine if it isn't a new noise. You can always change the oil and look for pieces of metal.

I change my oil after every 2 or 3 rides and I have a magnetic drain plug. Never been a whole lot of crap on the magnet. Doesnt sound like anything grinding . Just sounds like gears turning. I just didnt know if the gears should be quieter or if I had a problem. My buddies z-400 is real quiet and I started to worry.Thanks

LOL thats not what I wanted to hear Sick Boy...I ran her a little while today and it actually seems louder than I described. At idle on the clutch side you can hear it without actually putting your head-ear down there. Again no grinding or anything like that. Runs great! Just sounds like gears turning. When I put my ear close and listen it sounds like it is coming from the back of the crank case. Does this info give any more insight for a diagnosis? I really would hate to break the cases apart because I have never done it before. I am mechanically inclined. I have rebuilt small block chevys and 4 cylinder chevys but this little engine has me scared to death!! I do have the clymer and the factory cd rom manual from ebay. Is there anything I can do to find out what exactly it is without cracking the cases? I of course dont want to find out by letting it go until it breaks. This really has me worried. I was supposed to have another 60 or so mile ride tomorrow. I already canceled because I dont want to break my shee. PLEASE HELP!!!