Override Install?

Kendro

Possum it makes no sense to me either. I dont see that it would be any benefit over just a spring as it slides over the spring. I think I will take the advice of a bench test and see what happens. I dont see it working right. The guy I bought it from said he has had it for 10 or so years and thought it was either K&T or A&S that cut it.

No not that I have seen but truthfully I havent looked that close. I look tomorrow. What does that indicate if there are no springs? Its not a "duneable"? Im not looking to use it that way just want a litle forgiveness out of it for letting new riders learn. This is going in my secondary drag bike

i dont have a clue what the spacer is for, maybe call k+t AND a+s and ask them about it?  i'm taking it there are no markings or builders marks on the drum anywhere?   i would look over the dogs on the gears and look for excessive backloading issues, and for all 3 gear cut ramps equal drag off engagement dogs ( indicated by marks on the ramps.  if there is rubbing on only 1 or 2 you might have issues  i see this a lot ) check shifter fork dog edges for wear( escpecially with springed forks) and check the drum over close for any damage from forks getting shoved out from backloads.  check that all spinning gears on both gear sets spin nice and free and that they dont have a lot of slop or are chatering on the shafts.  the largest gear closest to the sproket has a bushing/ bearing that likes to walk around when the gear gets hot  it can rub up against the retainers and cause the shaft to spin off that gear drag causing shifting problems, clutch issues creeping etc.  the 3 back to back gears on the same shaft will sometimes get hot and sieze to the shaft OR wear the hell out of the shaft causing them to chatter all over the place..  only real way to see that it take it completely apart and look for issues. 

a duneable wont necessarily make it a surviveable transmission from newbie riders.  a std override that cut well and has full engagement on all 3 dogs can live a little better from minior OOPS  BUT if you jam it in 3rd and backload it all the way down the track  its going to get screwed up.. i have dealt with so called duneables a few times, most times they had crap shift forks and were jumping out of gear in no time at all.  may have been a problem with the early designs i dont know  all i know is when i look at them and realize that a spring is holding the shift forks ears right against a gear its going to cause heat to build up and going to trash a shift fork.  its just the " duneable" i guess makes up for the huge amount of wear and holds them in gear better.  i guess... 

just a few thoughts.

maybe someone with more experience will chime in. 

Specialblend thanks for info that's good to know. Camatv solved the mystery for me, the spacer is in fact the spacer that goes on the shift shaft.  I feel like a dip shit for not seeing that on my own. I was told it went behind the shift fork.. I got a "good deal" on this tranny but apparently the seller did not know that much about it. Hope it turns out good for me but I am prepared for it to fail. The seller guaranteed money back that it works well. Guess he didn't remember how it went back together..... I will report back after it is installed.

Souththirty, the welds on the drum are silver color and don't appear to have been overly hot like the weld on the shift star.