Elka set up

cary724

I got the Elka stage 3 special that has been going on(LT’s). Installed them on Laeger +2+1 A arms. So far I haven’t been too happy with the front, the rear feels great, no issues. On the fronts I have tried adjusting the spring preload, they are either real stiff or real soft and bottom out. They are called stage 3, but only have spring pre-load and compression for the front shocks. I downloaded Elkas manual and they show the stage 3’s also having rebound, I guess on these with the special they took it off to get that price.  (The description calls them out as only Spring preload and compression so its they do call it out correctly). I was just hoping for a better ride than what they are. Anyone have any experience with them? Is this the norm on this particular shock? At this point I’m thinking of selling the fronts and getting some Fox floats or Axis. 

Well I won't comment on what you got vs what you thought you were getting, but I'd start by taking the serial numbers off the shocks and call Elka. They can tell you what weight they are set up for and help you dial in the settings for you.

If the shocks are wrong, that's a whole different issue. But I have Elka's and literally couldn't be any happier.

• Like 1

No need to comment on what i got or what i thought i was getting, I got exactly what i thought i was getting, not sure what you are trying to say with that. What I was saying is they are called stage 3, when I downloaded the manual, the manual has stage 3's listed as having rebound. I said in my original post they were correctly described when i purchased them as not having rebound.

When they were ordered I told them the type of A arms, my weight and bike they were going on. I was in Croom this weekend and would ride, come back and adjust and ride again, did this quite a few times. I was with a friend that has Elkas and could tell a big difference between his bike and mine. He has the stage 3's with rebound. So i was thinking this has something to do with it. Purpose of my post was to see if anyone, maybe someone that's experienced with suspension setup, could chime in and tell me if the rebound setting would have this affect on the ride and what i was experiencing.

1. Pre-load

2. Pre-load, high speed comp.

3. Pre-load, high speed comp, rebound.

4. Pre-load, hi and lo speed comp, rebound.

5. Pre-load, hi and lo speed comp, rebound, lighter/ better materials.

Elka Factory editions  have a bunch more junk on them like more knobies and do dats that do more things n stuff.