Squish clearance

Yea....you definitely have me confused.

Hope you get it sorted .

Sent from a van down by the river

So that no one gets confused, I got a supposed to be 421 cub on CL. I rode it and it wouldn't shift under power so I decided to split it apart to upgrade the clutch and trans. Before I got it apart I ordered a billet basket,pancake bearing and lock up. All from Matt and that was when I asked him about custom domes , and that's when he told me what dome to run. Thank you and have a good day.

I told you I don't do 350 cubs. Have done prob 2 ever and I'm not the guy to get help from on one. I said I'd get you domes but only if I had your cylinder to mock up. Cam

Yep and I appreciate the help. I remember you saying you don't mess with them, been a few days..

certain builders cut domes to whatever deck height you give them, some dont. Sounds like Mat suggested the modquads cause for what your doing there prob ismt much to be gained from him cutting some from what it sounds like.

Easy fix now do this:

1. remove cylinder

2. clean up and put silicone of choice as a gasket at base

3. torque and measure deck height for reference

4. measure step in domes for reference the install

5. recheck squish

.040 is optimal but .050 is fine also.

when measuring the deck height, and step add them together the usually .010 for the orings. theres your squish without bolting up.

I meant to say *odd* not old lol typo ftl...

ah ok well your story making more sense now with those extra details lol...  im sure you will get it sorted....   and like cam mentioned.. without the cyls to mock up its hard to get spot on...   

good luck with it... CL deals always seem to never be a jump on and ride deal

I put a couple hours on it before I decided to tear it apart. I'm glad I did, cause every screw in the motor was loose and starting to back out.

certain builders cut domes to whatever deck height you give them, some dont. Sounds like Mat suggested the modquads cause for what your doing there prob ismt much to be gained from him cutting some from what it sounds like.

Easy fix now do this:

1. remove cylinder

2. clean up and put silicone of choice as a gasket at base

3. torque and measure deck height for reference

4. measure step in domes for reference the install

5. recheck squish

.040 is optimal but .050 is fine also.

when measuring the deck height, and step add them together the usually .010 for the orings. theres your squish without bolting up.

Exactly, that is my plan today .050 was my target Matt said for a av gas motor .040 may be a little tight.

So the Trinity Cub motor I tore down yesterday that had a sqish of .029 at the cylinder wall and .027 at the edge of the squish band, might be a bit tight?

LOL

• Like 1

So the Trinity Cub motor I tore down yesterday that had a sqish of .029 at the cylinder wall and .027 at the edge of the squish band, might be a bit tight?

LOL

I don't know,I was told by some one smarter then me to keep it around .050 for my particular set up.You know more about setting up squish, could I run .029 with out detonation on av gas? Every time you say Trinity an angel looses their wings. lol

Edited by sstaton1983

So how do you check squish properly ? Can you get a good reading just bending a piece of solder in a 90 degree putting it in cyl parallel to wrist pin til it touches the cyl wall and then turning past tdc then removing and measuring the solder ?

So how do you check squish properly ? Can you get a good reading just bending a piece of solder in a 90 degree putting it in cyl parallel to wrist pin til it touches the cyl wall and then turning past tdc then removing and measuring the solder ?

i remove the head, lay it across same direction as pin. go until it touches both cylinder walls. torque down head and turn motor over to smash the solder. Its difficult to get a good reading sticking it right in the plug hole because it needs to go all the way against the cylinder wall, i have a few friends that do it that way.

Edited by sstaton1983

i remove the head, lay it across same direction as pin. go until it touches both cylinder walls. torque down head and turn motor over to smash the solder. Its difficult to get a good reading sticking it right in the plug hole because it needs to go all the way against the cylinder wall, i have a few friends that do it that way.

I did read the write up on that but is it necessary to pull the head on and off to check it ? Can an accurate measurement be taken with out removing the head with just a bent piece of solder ?

a

I did read the write up on that but is it necessary to pull the head on and off to check it ? Can an accurate measurement be taken with out removing the head with just a bent piece of solder ?

yes, you can but it needs be all the way against the cylinder. if you are tearing the motor apart i would pull the head and lay the solder in there that way its kind of idiot  proof. if going through the plug hole i would do a few extra solders just to compare and get the right reading. 

a

yes, you can but it needs be all the way against the cylinder. if you are tearing the motor apart i would pull the head and lay the solder in there that way its kind of idiot  proof. if going through the plug hole i would do a few extra solders just to compare and get the right reading. 

That's a good idea to do a few pieces of solder .This is a new motor and my squish is high so I am swapping domes and need / want to re check it .It's not a big deal pulling the head on and off so I will likely just go with that method anyway .I just wondered if the thru the plug way was inaccurate or not .It seems difficult to find many threads on the topic of checking squish properly.