Trx 450r Test Ride

I dunno 400grl, I can understand waiting to see how they stack up but I wouldn't completely rule out the YFZ just yet, from what I've seen so far I think it's got an edge on the TRX. Plus the front end is downright hideous, you'll for sure need to keep that Raptor hood off your 440 if you get the Honda...

BTW what didja think of the Prescott race? I had a blast, I've been meaning to email Jeremy & Jeff and tell them they did a great job. Cycle Bob took some pix of the TT race but I haven't seen them yet, the only good one I got was that alky Polaris at the drags.

Hey Ben! I had a blast at the race too - we all did. Jason, Jeff and I and Jeremy think it was one of the funnest races we have ever been to!!! RPM did a really awesome job and really stuck out their necks to give us that race!!! I'm so glad you had fun!!! I tried PMing you about it but the forum was down for a couple of days!!! :)

Yeah - I have to say that I am waiting to see how they stack up. A year or two ago I wouldn't even wait - it'd be a no-brainer - Honda all the way. But the Yami is really impressive.......I just have too much experience with an 01 Rappy to put a ton of faith in Yamaha's new designs!!! :) lol!!! Not bashing on Yami's - I own one that I love!!! But I'm just a little gunshy on the new stuff at this point!! ;)

Ben, we have pics up of the RPM race on www.wellerracing.com!!!! 6 pages!!! Go there and look in the photos section.....you will find them! I'm pretty sure I saw you in those!!!

The drag races were really fun!!!! I though Randy was really cool - I think we are going to try to make the Virginia Beach race this year to show some support for the NQRA..........

It was great meeting you!!! Cool stickers!!! :)

There was a "Quad Day" (normally only for Dirtbikes) at baja here in Michigan a littles whiles back and that is where I first saw the new Honda. There were some stock ones (Honda riders) and some with their "Hop Up" package (Honda Pro riders). There were also lots of other quads there including the YFZ450. I must say, the new Honda couldn't even hold it's own with a modified Z400, and a stock YFZ had no problem taking it in every situation. Holeshot, out of corners, doubles, whoops, straights, You name it, the stock YFZ was king of 4-strokes

Well the raptors engine came from a street bike, and the tranny wasn't beefed up enough to handle the stress of a quad (especially for offroad use).

Wr's and yzfs have been MORE reliable then crf's have so far, and the engines offer up more potential. When you ride both in uncorked form you'll see the yammi will have a deffinant edge in power. Honda's unicam design doesn't offer up as much potential as yamaha's dual overhead cam 5 valve set up. Honda should have left the aggresive cam in there, and a higher compression ratio. It's a rip off to have to buy a hop up kit right away, when it should have been set up like that in the first place. And it also should come stock with the fcr carb (like the yammy does). You'll have to spend about 700 on a yfz to get it to run like it should, but you'll have to spend 1600 on the honda to get it up to that level.

Btw, the yfz450's swing arm is on the weak side for mx, and I'd rather have a kick start (personal preferance). As a wr 426 owner, I might be a little bit on the biased side though. :unsure::P

• 4 weeks later...
There was a "Quad Day" (normally only for Dirtbikes) at baja here in Michigan a littles whiles back and that is where I first saw the new Honda.  There were some stock ones (Honda riders) and some with their "Hop Up" package (Honda Pro riders).  There were also lots of other quads there including the YFZ450.  I must say, the new Honda couldn't even hold it's own with a modified Z400, and a stock YFZ had no problem taking it in every situation. Holeshot, out of corners, doubles, whoops, straights,  You name it, the stock YFZ was king of 4-strokes

I would hope so the Z400's are about 2g's cheaper !