Rebuild carbs after bike sits

Tommygunn

What do you consider a rebuild? I always hear guys say that. Take them apart, soak in carb cleaner, blow out jets and ports, put back together. Not really much to it. What costs $120? I just sold a good usable set of stock carbs with torrs removed for $80 shipped.

What laypeople usually consider to be a carb "rebuild" is actually a very thorough cleaning... With some type of solvent and/or compressed air.... As long as the bowl gaskets are not torn during disassembly they are reuseable.... It's very easy to do yourself.... Get 2 cans of Brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner ( I prefer Brake cleaner)  COMPLETELY disassemble (i.e all jets and venturi tube, air screw and spring.. ONE carb at a time, and then clean them very good and blow them dry with an air compressor and blow gun.... Make sure to blow through all the holes and ports in the carb bodies... It takes me less than 45 mins to do both carbs from taking them off the bike to running again....

Charges $60 per carb. Includes new gaskets, etc. One side is leaking so just blowing out the jets and cleaning wont fix it. Already tried. How much is a carb kit with gaskets? If it's a lot less then $120 for both, i'll just do it myself.  I just need the leak fixed. The motor is already there so I figured I would just let them do it, but if I can buy the kit much cheaper, ill do it myself.

They are 35mm carbs

Edited by Tommygunn

If its leaking past you prob need a needle and seat. I've not seen a "carb kit" before I don't think. It just needs cleaned out and out back together like we previous said. There really aren't any wear parts inside. Sometimes stuff breaks or needs cleaned up. Sometimes the seat can be cleaned up with a few light twists from the end of a sharp drill bit. If you aren't sure or have no idea what we are talking about then you are probably better paying the $120 and crossing your fingers. But make sure you have it with somebody familiar with banshees and not some run of the mill stealership. Sometimes you'll end up with more problems than good after that.

Clean the needle valve and the brass piece it sits in that regulates fuel flow into the bowl. If float height is right, more then likely sediment is on the rubber tip or on the brass, not allowing it to close peoperly.

Or replace just the needle and seat for like $12. Or u can get a rebuild kit fir $15 that includes said seat/needle valve. A gasket stock jets and needle/clip. Airscrew and bowl drain screw.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181279686531 this is 2 kits. One for each carb. I paid $15 each for shindy rebuild kits.

This is assuming you have stock carbs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Take carb apart and throw away all yours jets and buy new ones, remove floats and check for leaks in a bowl of water. leave carburetor and bowl soaking fully submerged in carb cleaner for 24 hrs, take out and put into boiling hot water for several minutes, remove from water, blow all holes with compressed air. Let dry thoroughly replace all jets and gaskets put back together bam! Brand new carb