Dumb Argument With Me And My Friend.

bignasty1

okay well my friend is telling me with 22 inch tires a 16,40 gearing on concrete at a slight down hill angle i could hit 100 mph. i dont think i could but i might be wrong. but we are gonna test here in a day or 2 when i have a chance its stupid but what are ur thoughts i say no he's says it may be possible. i just think he's a dumb ass. ohh and that gearing is being pulled by my mods below.

I think it will, the only thing stopping any engine from putting a certain amount of mph is power. The way it was taught to me is that the more power an engine has the higher and faster it spins. Higher revolutions equal more top speed. So my guess is that the only thing restricting the 100mph thing is actually the pipes! I mean look at it this way, spin your arm as fast as you can. Do you think thats the fastest your arm can spin? Of course not, if you were stronger you could spin your arm much faster. My jet engines teacher gave me that example.

peace in the middle east

The way it was taught to me is that the more power an engine has the higher and faster it spins.

This is VERY untrue. It can be the case, but it is not a direct relationship. The more "power" and engine has, the better ability it posseses to move a given load.

This is the important part where you are concerned. If you build your engine, you will be able to "pull" taller gearing better, and there fore give you more top end. Here's how: Say your engine can now pull a 14/41 gearing really clean. You jump to a 15, and it is doggy off the line, but it can pull up top a little longer, annd gain you some top end speed. However, you are unhappy with the off the line performance. So, what do you do? you build the motor, you pipe it, and let's say you get it ported. Now, you may be able to pull a 16/41 gearing clean off the bottom, and be really sweet on top, but you however aren't turning all that many more revs. Maybe 1,000 RPM's at the most on top. While this will equal some extra top speed, it won't be alot. It also depends how long you're gonna hold it WOT for...

well i got plenty of space we got a back road thats a slight down hill and strait as an arrow for approximately(sp) 5.4 miles so space isnt a problem. but i dont plan on holding it open for miles at a time just till the speed quits climbin and starts to peak. i took off work today so i'll tell ya in a few hours.