Death-by-quad

killershee88

hey guys and girls i am a 17 guy from Florida and have a little story i thought i would share. Last summer 2 kids i know went ridin on the ones dads 4x4. Thats fine and all except for the fact that they were drunk and only one was wearing a helmet. Well when they were ridin they were goin up a hill, not a steep hill just a regular jill in a trail and little did they know was a girl coming up the other side on a warrior. when they met at the top the kid drivin the 4x4 turned sharp and they flipped. the kid not wearing a helmet cracked his head open and died right there in his best friends arms. He left his family and friends and a great life he had goin for him self because he wanted to have fun. I dont wanna sound all mushy and stuff but wut im tryin to say is that all these kids that are takin stupid chances are ruinning our sport. before u go out and do stupid things like drink and ride or ride with out a helmet think about it, remember a helmet could have saved this 17 year old kids life.

I completely agree wit u on the wearing a helmet. I know many people that drink and ride machines around at our local sand dunes. One kid busted a set of handle bars over the back of his head when he rolled his machine down the hill. Fortunatly he wasn's killed. pretty banged up though.

I know many people that drink and ride machines around at our local sand dunes.

I can't say that I don't....cause I do drink & ride at the dunes...but not without boots, chest protector, helmet, riding gloves, & friends in case someone fucks up. Definately not the smartest idea,...but we try to still stay safe & ride within our limits,...which are limitted after a couple cases. :huh:

I never ride alone, i'm always wearing knee, ankle braces, chest protecter, tech 8's and riding gear. I've seen just about every kind of injury at the nationals. I don't show up like one of the rednecks with just goggles on , shorts, sleeveless shirt and flip-flops. Yes I do drink sum liquid courage sometimes when riding. I now my limits of drinking and riding limits. FYI in the past year 17 kids/adults have died on atvs in South Carolina

:( i started rideing in 1983 (ytm200) and the same thing as far as safty and this sport are concerned are still relivent today thats a shame, for sure,these kind of riders nearly killed this sport, the media gets hold of storys like these and run with it and you and me are left to pay the price, dont think uncle sam wont take your toys away for good a mistake the 3wheelin world learned the hard way ride safe

Allways, allways wear a helmet. Drinking and operating anything is deadly. Every year at glamis there are on average 15 deaths due to alcohol and stupidity. Remember the liquid courage is just that, false courage. It gives people the idea they can do things they cannot. I have been a deputy sheriff, and see it all the time. We can all have fun and still ride responsible.

The worst last year was the father and son coming down olds in their rail, and a drunk come over the whoops right at them in a big funco, hit the father and son's rail so hard the metal sheared right off, and decapitated them. No good.

Wearing helmets is good but they can also be dangerous my fiance went of a 25 foot razorback at winchester bay,Or and broke her back and something hit her right side jaw and broke her jaw the doctors said that if she would have been wearing a helmet she would have snapped her neck...So I gues it's the luck of the draw and something that comes with riding fast quads comes danger and somrtimes pain...

Ya but that's like the argument of not wearing seat belts because sometimes people are ejected from an accident and escape uninjured. While its true that this happens sometimes, its like for every 700,000 accidents that kill non-restrained passengers, 1 survives uninjured because he was ejected. I can think of a few times that a helmet has probably saved my life, or at least saved me from having an f'd up grill. The screwed up thing about drinking and riding is that your likely to take out somebody who's being responsible and just out there minding their own business. If you wanna get smashed and ride, go ahead, but do it where the only person that's gonna get hurt is you. Sorry for the rant, but its early and I'm stuck at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my helemt story, its not exciting but probably saved me serious injury. We have this set of tracks we have to cross to get to our riding spot. The tracks are too tall too cross so we jump the. We find a nice spot where the gravel slopes up and just hit it. Well on e day I was out to do some plug chops (by myself which is also stupid). So I go across my street to the trail head jump the tracks and off i go. Well, on my way back I guess i just didn't pick a good spot or didin't hit right but my back tire nailed the first rail. This caused my shee to buck me straight up in the air. I remember it was like slow motion I was up in the air upside down looking dwon at me shee. The next thing I know "BANG!!" I landed on my head. If you ever been on the side of train tracks you now those sharp jagged rocks would split your plit skull wide open. I think I may have gone out for a second cause when i got up eveything seemed way too still. I got up and I was dizzy and couldn't think straight, i got on my shee and rode the wrong way then I couldn't find my trail head to my house. Finally i got home and I was a soup sanwich for 2 days. I was kinda nervous cause this was only like 2 days after that girl was killed by the hockey puck, so I knew head injuries were no joke. I'm pretty sure that impact would have caused me either death or brain damage without my helmet. To this day I remeber the "Bang" I just couldn't believe the impact (I was a passenger in an 80 mph rollover when i was younger and that wasn't even close to this, a seat belt story too).

About the doctor, that docs gotta be a pinball to say that. I couldn't imagine a real doctor saying she were better of without a helmet. That's like a doc saying to a person who got thrown a hundred feet from a car and was lucky enough to live, good thing you weren't wearing your belt you would have died. Most likely had she been wearing a helmet she would not have a broken jaw. How would the helmet break her neck. The object that hit her jaw would have impacted the helmet with the same force, this force would have been highly dissipated by the helmet. A force hard enough to take her helmet and twist it fast and hard enough to break her neck would also have been strong enough to twist her head and break her neck without the helmet. So I call BS. Sorry I just hate this issue. It seems the only time I see a quad on TV is when the rider falls off without a helmet, either AFV or like Sunday on Viva la Bam, its always used to be funny but its not.

well i got one to as im sure we all do i was wearing a helmet thank god i was wearing a full face cuase it was cold out at the time and i had a 02 warrior. Some buddies and out for a nice game of follow the leader so of course i got stuck last. We were in the trailes behind his house ( the house sits on a tall steep hill) and we decided to go through the creek and up the back side of the hill to go get some food and liguid refreshment( not beer) anywho they all made it up and i was last, so i started up but about 3/4 of the up a 65-75 degree grade i lost traction on the back. Thinking no biggy done this before ill just role back down and give her hell again. well on the way done i was heading for a 1 inch diameter sappling witch cuaght the right rear tire and turned me to the left sliding sideways down this steep ass hill. i once again thought no prob ill ride it out till i clear the trees and straighten out. Nope i look down and theres a one inch drop off were a root came accross and thats when all hell broke loose. i hit it and the quad came up on the left tires and i decided to bail (not sure when sometime when i new i was going over and before it gone done with the first role)i roled down the hill and some how ended up back around right ?(my feet facing up the hill) but the quad still side ways . when it got to the bottom the seat rolled over my feet and it came to rest (sitting on its wheels) right side up with my head trapped underneath the engine. My buddies came running down to lift it off me and asked me if i was ok i laid there (checking body function wiggling toes fingures and checking my shorts) and they opened the visor relieved to see my eyes open i sat up dazed so i walked up the hill as one of them drove the quad up the hill and called it a day woke up the next morning aching from head to toe thanking god it was only a couple scrapes and bruises. ;)

I've got tons of helmet stories but the one that comes to mind is my most freakiest one. I was riding next to a road in a shoulder of about 7ft and for some reason a dead pine tree fell infront of me. I saw it falling and it was happening in slow-mo but I was 5th pinned and only had time to grab clutch, brake and brake. No time to set up for the impact or anything. I nailed that tree 5th pinned and went flying. I have no idea how many times shee flipped or anything. After I woke up in the street and realized that I wen about 25yards from the tree and you could see where I hit the ground and started rolling/flopping into the street. I flew about 30 feet from the tree before I hit the ground. Don't know if I've ever been in that much pain. End result was bent bars, radiator, clutch lever and perch, brake lever and the bar that goes up to the top of the rad. was bent back pinning my tank in, destroyed plastic, torn up jersey and pants, few buckles torn off my boots, cracked helmet with a big gash from where my head hit the curb, and TONS of bruises and cuts. But I rode that limping thing home and was able to walk away from it and without a helmet I don't know if I could have gotten out of that one.

• 2 weeks later...