What do you think?

Banshee304

I have a 397 ported stock cyclender 4mill motor, stock carbs bored n ported, t5s. And plus 7 timing at the moment. At first when the motor was done and ready to run I had nothing but issues due to lean jetting on my part but after a few weeks of jetting I got the bike running crisp. Not as fast as I wanted but she's rips. My builder has been in the banshee game for over 15 years he's old school and I don't doubt him in the slightest bit. Long story short I have people telling me that plus 7 timing is to much advance for pump gas bike. Just wanted to see what others thought and have experienced.

Just picked up 34mm tmx flat side carbs and a complete Hinson clutch set up, vitos ball bearing lock up and in a week or two I'm ordering shearer sb in frames hoping to give me that extra power I'm looking for.

+7 on 93 is steep.

The real question is Why are you choosing to set your timing at +7?

I run +7 on my 4 mil stock cylinder on 93 pump fuel. No detonation issues yet. But i have seen and hear horror stories. I am switching to race fuel for my newer setup (just changing porting a bit and going override tranny). +4 is a safe margin, if you have ANY doubts, retard it to +4 for peace of mind.

I'm not going to say that +7 is safe, but it's ok if you don't have issues. I went up to 8.5 with my set up, using T5's and 20cc domes, sea level, 93 pump gas. Then went back to 7.5 without any reason. I made some azzdyno testing and my motor felt better with 7.5 than 5.

So if you dont have issues, keep it up, or go back 0.5 or 1.

IMO, your lucky to have that kind of motor. Now you can find a happy medium between a good lower end torque and topend pull.